Knit up this delightful set of soft felted baby blocks in bright primary colors.
The three different sizes are perfect for tossing, stacking, and knocking down.
Approximately 31/2x5" (9x12.5cm) before felting
Approximately 3x3" (7.5x7.5cm) after felting
Approximately 5x61/2" (12.5x16.5cm) before felting
Approximately 4x4" (10x10cm) after felting
Approximately 6x8" (15x20.5cm) before felting
Approximately 5x5" (12.5x12.5cm) after felting
What You'll Need
Yarn: 100% wool worsted weight yarn, about 93 yards (85m) for small block, 152 yards (139m) for medium block, 247 yards (226m) for large block
We used: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes (100% wool; 110 yards [101m] per 50g ball): small block #23440 Blue Bonnet, 1 ball; medium block #23436 Daffodil, 2 balls; large block #23431 Tomato, 3 balls
Needles: US size 8 (5mm)
Notions: Tapestry needle; sewing needle and thread to match yarn color(s); fiberfill stuffing
18 stitches and 24 rows=4" (10cm) in stockinette stitch before felting
- Instructions are given for smallest size; numbers for larger sizes are in brackets. When only 1 number is given, it applies to all sizes.
- Each block is knitted and felted in 6 pieces, then sewn together with sewing needle and matching thread.
Make the BlocksCast on 17 [22, 27] stitches.Rows 1-5: Knit. Row 6 (wrong side): Knit 3, purl 11 [16, 21], knit 3.Row 7: Knit.
Repeat rows 6 and 7 nine [14, 19] times more.Knit 2 more rows. Bind off loosely. Weave in yarn ends to wrong side of work.Repeat to make 6 pieces for each block size.Felting
Felt pieces in washing machine.
Finishing the Felted Block Set
With sewing needle and thread whipstitch 5 of the 6 pieces of each block together into the start of a cube shape. Sew 3 of the 4 edges of the last piece to the cube, then stuff block with fiberfill stuffing. Sew last edge of block. If needed, gently brush edges with a toothbrush to hide stitches.
A handmade teddy bear is a gift that will please parents and baby alike. Go to the next page for our teddy bear knitting pattern.
For more helpful knitting tips and interesting patterns, try:
- Free Knitting Patterns
- Free Baby Knitting Patterns
- Free Clothing Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for the Home
- Free Accessory Knitting Patterns
- Free and Easy Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit
- Knitting Instructions
- Easy Baby Knitting Patterns
- Free Baby Sweaters Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Baby Blankets
- Free Baby Bootie Knitting Patterns
- Free Socks Knitting Patterns
- Free Mitten Knitting Patterns
- Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Free Pillow Knitting Patterns
- Free Purse Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners