Easy Baby Bibs Knitting Pattern
Baby bibs make a nice gift for a newborn. They knit up quickly and have tons of charm when customized with a sweet little heart or sailboat. Follow the chart to create the design, and this project will be smooth sailing all the way.
What You'll Need
Yarn: 100% cotton light worsted weight or DK weight solid-color yarn, approximately 50 yards (46m) each bib (yarn A); 100% cotton light worsted weight or DK weight variegated yarn, approximately 25 yards (23m) each bib (yarn B)
We used: Tahki Cotton Classic (100% mercerized cotton; 108 yards [100m] per 13/4oz [50g] skein): #3847, 1 skein (blue bib); #3931, 1 skein (lavender bib); Tahki Tweedy Cotton Classic (100% mercerized cotton; 108 yards [100m] per 13/4oz [50g] skein): #474, 1 skein (boat); #473, 1 skein (heart)
Needles: US size 4 (3.5mm); US size 2 (2.75mm) circular, 24" (61cm) long
Notions: Stitch holder; tapestry needle
26 stitches and 36 rows=4" (10cm) in stockinette stitch
- The yarn is worked on small needles in order to produce a closely knit fabric so spills won't soak through easily.
- When changing colors, drop the old color and bring the new color up from under the old color, twisting them together to avoid gaps. For the boat pattern you will need 2 balls yarn A and 1 ball yarn B. For the heart you will need 3 balls yarn A and 2 balls yarn B. Because these areas are quite small, you may choose to cut long lengths of yarn instead of winding smaller balls or bobbins.
Make the BibUsing yarn A and size 4 (3.5mm) needles cast on 31 stitches.Row 1 and all odd-number rows (wrong side): Purl all stitches.Row 2: Knit 1, make 1, knit 29, make 1, knit 1. (33 stitches)Row 4: Knit 1, make 1, knit 31, make 1, knit 1. (35 stitches)Row 6: Knit 1, make 1, knit 33, make 1, knit 1. (37 stitches)Row 8: Knit 1, make 1, knit 35, make 1, knit 1. (39 stitches)Row 10: Knit 1, make 1, knit 37, make 1, knit 1. (41 stitches)Work in stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) for 7 rows more, ending with row 17.
Next row: Begin working motif (heart or sailboat) following the chart and using the intarsia method.
After finishing charted design, work 10 rows in stockinette stitch with yarn A.
Row 1 (right side): Knit 12, bind off 17, knit to end of row (12 stitches on each side of bind-off). Place first set of 12 stitches on stitch holder.
Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12: Purl.
Row 3: Bind off 2 stitches, knit 10.
Row 5: Bind off 1 stitch, knit to end of row. (9 stitches)
Row 7: Bind off 1 stitch, with 1 stitch already on right needle from bind-off, knit 5 more, knit 2 together. (7 stitches)
Row 9: Bind off 1 stitch, with 1 stitch already on right needle, knit 3 more, knit 2 together. (5 stitches)
Row 11: Bind off 1 stitch, with 1 stitch already on right needle, knit 1 more, knit 2 stitches together. (3 stitches)
Row 13: Slip 2 stitches as if to knit them together, knit 1, pass the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted one. Cut yarn, pull tail through last stitch and fasten off.
Rejoin yarn to 12 stitches on holder and knit other side, reversing shaping.
Edging and Ties
With right side facing, pick up 43 stitches along the neckline edge of bib using yarn B and size 2 (2.75mm) circular needles. Knit 3 rows. Bind off all stitches.
With circular needle and using knitted cast-on method and yarn B, cast on 50 stitches. With same needle and yarn and right side facing, pick up 140 stitches evenly along left edge, bottom, and right edge of bib. Cast on another 50 stitches on the end. Knit 3 rows.
Bind off all stitches. Weave in all ends to wrong side of work.
Every child needs a cute and cuddly companion. Keep reading for our baby's buddy inchworm pillow pattern.
For more helpful knitting tips and interesting patterns, try:
- Free Knitting Patterns
- Free Baby Knitting Patterns
- Free Clothing Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for the Home
- Free Accessory Knitting Patterns
- Free and Easy Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit
- Knitting Instructions
- Free Baby Sweaters Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Baby Blankets
- Free Baby Bootie Knitting Patterns
- Free Socks Knitting Patterns
- Free Mitten Knitting Patterns
- Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Free Pillow Knitting Patterns
- Free Purse Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners