Free Felted Block Set Knitting Pattern
Knit up this delightful set of soft felted baby blocks in bright primary colors.
The three different sizes are perfect for tossing, stacking, and knocking down.
Approximately 31/2x5" (9x12.5cm) before felting
Approximately 3x3" (7.5x7.5cm) after felting
Approximately 5x61/2" (12.5x16.5cm) before felting
Approximately 4x4" (10x10cm) after felting
Approximately 6x8" (15x20.5cm) before felting
Approximately 5x5" (12.5x12.5cm) after felting
What You'll Need
Yarn: 100% wool worsted weight yarn, about 93 yards (85m) for small block, 152 yards (139m) for medium block, 247 yards (226m) for large block
We used: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes (100% wool; 110 yards [101m] per 50g ball): small block #23440 Blue Bonnet, 1 ball; medium block #23436 Daffodil, 2 balls; large block #23431 Tomato, 3 balls
Needles: US size 8 (5mm)
Notions: Tapestry needle; sewing needle and thread to match yarn color(s); fiberfill stuffing
18 stitches and 24 rows=4" (10cm) in stockinette stitch before felting
- Instructions are given for smallest size; numbers for larger sizes are in brackets. When only 1 number is given, it applies to all sizes.
- Each block is knitted and felted in 6 pieces, then sewn together with sewing needle and matching thread.
Make the BlocksCast on 17 [22, 27] stitches.Rows 1-5: Knit. Row 6 (wrong side): Knit 3, purl 11 [16, 21], knit 3.Row 7: Knit.
Repeat rows 6 and 7 nine [14, 19] times more.Knit 2 more rows. Bind off loosely. Weave in yarn ends to wrong side of work.Repeat to make 6 pieces for each block size.Felting
Felt pieces in washing machine.
Finishing the Felted Block Set
With sewing needle and thread whipstitch 5 of the 6 pieces of each block together into the start of a cube shape. Sew 3 of the 4 edges of the last piece to the cube, then stuff block with fiberfill stuffing. Sew last edge of block. If needed, gently brush edges with a toothbrush to hide stitches.
A handmade teddy bear is a gift that will please parents and baby alike. Go to the next page for our teddy bear knitting pattern.
For more helpful knitting tips and interesting patterns, try:
- Free Knitting Patterns
- Free Baby Knitting Patterns
- Free Clothing Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for the Home
- Free Accessory Knitting Patterns
- Free and Easy Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit
- Knitting Instructions
- Easy Baby Knitting Patterns
- Free Baby Sweaters Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Baby Blankets
- Free Baby Bootie Knitting Patterns
- Free Socks Knitting Patterns
- Free Mitten Knitting Patterns
- Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Free Pillow Knitting Patterns
- Free Purse Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners