It's definitely a little scary for some people to stand in front of a large crowd and give a speech, especially one as important as this. During those times of nervousness, it's easy to fall into the trap of attempting to be someone you're not in order to calm your nerves. If you're shy, you might think it's much easier to give a speech if you pretend to be outgoing. If you aren't that funny, you might try to be really humorous to take the edge off. However, the best thing you can do for your speech is to just be yourself.
The bride chose you to be her maid of honor because she cares about you! She and everyone else want to hear what you have to say because your opinion and influence is obviously important to the happy couple. The more you're yourself, the more genuine and honest your speech will be. After all, isn't a genuine speech the best kind of speech -- no matter what your personality?
Just relax and know that you were chosen to be the maid of honor for a very good reason, and no matter what you have to say, the bride and groom will love it because it will come from you!
- 5 Original Themes for Your Bachelorette Party
- 10 Fun Things You Have to Do During Your Engagement
- 10 Signs You're Turning into Bridezilla
- How to Choose Your Maid of Honor
- How to Deal with a Disappointing Maid of Honor
- How to Throw an Engagement Party on a Budget
- Perks and Pitfalls of Choosing a Long-distance Maid of Honor
- What are the maid of honor's duties?
- Can you turn down the position of maid of honor?
- What should guests wear to a destination wedding?
- Bridesmaid101.com. "Maid of Honor Speech." (Oct. 3, 2010). http://www.bridesmaid101.com/maid_of_honor_speech.html
- Elliott, Amy. "Tips for Maid of Honor Speeches." TheKnot.com. (Oct. 2, 2010). http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridesmaids/articles/wedding-toasting-tips-for-the-maid-of-honor.aspx?MsdVisit=1
- Vaz, Sharon. "Tips for an Amazing Maid of Honor Wedding Speech." WedAlert.com. (Oct. 2, 2010). http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/MaidOfHonorSpeech.asp
Wedding guest lists are getting smaller. But it's not just because weddings are getting more expensive. HowStuffWorks looks at the microwedding trend.