Trust Your Instincts
No matter what the hottest designers, celebrities and stylists are saying on the pages of the fashion magazines, ultimately the only person you have to please is yourself. Buying an article of clothing that you hate just because it's trendy is never a good idea. It's going to hang idly in your closet until you finally decide to throw it out or give it away.
Similarly, don't give in to pushy salespeople who are trying to convince you that they know what looks best on you. If don't like what you see in the dressing room mirror, you won't like that outfit any better once you get it home. Thank the salesperson for his or her time, and make your exit.
At the same time, if your instincts are telling you to put on the same ratty sweat suit you've been wearing for ten years, that's the time to ignore them. Turn to the people you trust to help you weed out items in your wardrobe that didn't showcase your best judgment.
For more fashion tips, take a look at the links below.
- Blackwell, Elizabeth. "What to Wear If You're Pear-Shaped." Ladies' Home Journal.http://www.lhj.com/style/fashion/advice/what-to-wear-if-youre-pear-shaped-archive/
- Cosmopolitan.com. "How to Look Hot Without Going Broke."http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/tiptool/look-hot-without-going-broke#/category1.
- Ellis, Kori. "Pretty Dresses for Any Body Type." SheKnows. http://www.sheknows.com/articles/804140/how-to-choose-the-perfect-dress-for-your-body-type.
- Heebner, Jennifer. "How to Develop a Signature Style." JCK. October 2005, vol. 176, pg. 79.
- Martin, Jill. Fashion for Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Publishing, Inc. 2010.
- The Ongoing Project. "Developing Your Personal Style, Part I." http://theongoingproject.blogspot.com/2008/09/developing-your-personal-style-part-1.html.
- "Wardrobe Basics Checklist." Real Simple.http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/wardrobe-basics/wardrobe-basics-checklist-00000000000952/index.html.
Squeezing into a tight pair of Spanx can make you look better, if not feel better. Learn about shapewear by reading this article at HowStuffWorks.