Those of us with slim to zero artistic talent naturally shy away from the contour brush in the makeup kit. It seems like a lot of effort that probably won't do anything for us, right? Wrong! I dare say that few starlets walk the red carpet without some serious cheekbone contouring action. Contouring makes your face look slimmer or your features more pronounced. Here are some great methods to try:
- For blush-based contouring, apply a lighter shade of blush on the cheekbone and a darker shade just under.
- For a more sculpted look use two shades of foundation to get the job done. Apply the darker selection below the cheekbone, the lighter selection everywhere else and blend. Dust with powder and enjoy the shadow effect!
- For a natural-looking contour, try a matte face powder about two shades deeper than your natural skin tone. Using a brush smaller than your normal blush application tool, sweep the powder over your forehead, then under the jawline and under the cheekbones.
- For less dramatic coverage, use the same concept, but only apply powder beneath the cheekbones. Do so by applying from the temples all the way down the lower line of your natural cheekbones.
Again, don't be disheartened if your first cheekbone highlighting foray yields less than stellar results. Makeup artists are specially trained, so it might take time and practice before you're ready for your close-up.
- Arit, Gregory. "Victoria Beckham's Sultry Makeup Tutorial." Total Beauty. 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://www.totalbeauty.com/video/v_halloween_makeup_victoria_beckham
- Daily Glow. "Highlight Your Cheeks With Blush." 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://www.dailyglow.com/articles/62/make-up/accentuating-high-cheekbones-with-blush.html
- Desai, Shikha and Meghna Mukherjee. "Runway hair and makeup looks decoded." The Times of India. Aug. 28, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-28/beauty/33426207_1_runway-hair-braid-lips
- Dunman, MZ. Hairdresser and makeup artist. Personal interview via email. Sept. 3, 2012.
- In Style. "Illuminated Complexion." Sept. 4, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://celebrityphotos.instyle.com/dailybeautytip/photos/all/skin/results.html
- Mcalonan, Elsa. "All you need to shine in the sun." Daily Mail. Aug. 10, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2185589/Beauty-confidential-All-need-shine-sun.html
- Pantin, Laurel. "Bronzer Tips from the Pro." Teen Vogue Daily. July 16, 2009. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://www.teenvogue.com/blog/teen-vogue-daily/2009/07/bronzer-tips-from-the-pro.html
- Patterson, Ryan. "Glam Slam: Get Jessica Biel & Kate Beckinsale's Red Carpet Beauty." Aug. 8, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012). http://www.accesshollywood.com/glam-slam-get-jessica-biel-and-kate-beckinsales-red-carpet-beauty_article_68229