Structure Your Look
Marilyn's style may have looked effortless, but underneath all that glam was a carefully orchestrated wrestling match involving foundational garments and her Rubenesque figure. We know Marilyn wore girdles to help achieve her cinched waist and hourglass curves. In fact, some of the film legend's unmentionables were sold at auction in 2010, including a black nylon girdle.
We're not saying lung-crushing corsets should ever make a comeback, but in an era when Spanx-like support awaits us at nearly every retailer, we have no excuse for not looking a little like Marilyn. The structure and shape provided by a well-fitting foundation is nothing short of miraculous. And after all, isn't that Marilyn 's real legacy? The magic of celebrity can wave its glamorous wand over us all, if only through our wardrobe.
- Biography. "Marilyn Monroe Biography." (April 24, 2011)http://www.biography.com/articles/Marilyn-Monroe-9412123
- Davis, Brittany Roshelle. "6 Hot Red Lipsticks that Marilyn Monroe Would Love." Shine. Feb. 8, 2011. (April 22, 2011)http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/6-hot-red-lipsticks-that-marilyn-monroe-would-love-2451675
- Donnelly, Erin. "Marilyn Monroe's Pink Satin 'Gentlemen Prefer Blonds' Dress to be Auctioned." Style List. May 4, 2010. (April 22, 2011)http://www.stylelist.com/2010/05/04/marilyn-monroe-gentlemen-prefer-blondes-dress-auction/
- Good Housekeeping. "Whiten Your Teeth at Home." (April 28, 2011)http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-testing/reviews-tests/health-beauty/whiten-your-teeth-3
- Henderson, Tony. "Marilyn Monroe's Girdle Auctioned in Boldon." July 7, 2010. Chronicle News. (April 22, 2011)http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/07/07/marilyn-monroe-s-girdle-auctioned-in-boldon-72703-26803050/
- History. "Hollywood: Marilyn Monroe Born." (April 24, 2011)http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marilyn-monroe-born
- Internet Movie Database. "Marilyn Monroe Biography." (April 28, 2011)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000054/bio
- Morales, Tatiana. "Create Hair like Monroe, Hepburn." Nov. 8, 2004. CBS News. (April 24, 2011) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/08/earlyshow/living/beauty/main654273.shtml
- Perkins, Jaylynn. "My Spring Favorites: Halter Maxi for Most Body Types." Dress Your Body Type. April 19, 2011. (April 24, 2011)http://www.dressyourbodytype.com/blog/tag/halter-maxi-for-most-body-types/
- Rudnick, Paul. "The Blond Marilyn Monroe." June 14, 1999. Time magazine. (April 24, 2011) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,991257-1,00.html
- The Houston Chronicle. "Plunging Necklines." Aug. 6, 2010. (April 24, 2011)http://www.chron.com/entertainment/photogallery/Cleavage_is_the_new_black.html
- The Reel Awards. "The Reel Awards: 20th Annual Awards Show." (April 24, 2011)http://thereelawards.com/home
- Thomas, Geneva. "Are Peep-Toe Pumps Unprofessional?" Coco and Creme. (April 24, 2011)http://cocoandcreme.com/2010/08/are-peep-toe-pumps-unprofessional/
- TV Tropes. "Beauty Marks." (April 22, 2011)http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeautyMark
- Wedding Solutions. "Necklines: Sweetheart." (April 24, 2011)http://www.weddingsolutions.com/fashion_and_beauty/Dress_Neckline_Sweetheart.html
- Woollard, Deidre. "Rights to Marilyn Monroe Change Hands in Multi-Million Dollar Deal." Luxist. Jan. 14, 2011. (April 22, 2011)
Where do those red carpet dresses go after their big debuts? HowStuffWorks follows the trail.