Pros and Cons of Liquid Makeup
Liquid foundation is the most popular foundation product on the market. It's available in water-, cream- and oil-based formulations for light, medium and heavy coverage. There are also liquid-to-powder products that try to capture the advantages of both liquid and powder foundations.
The benefits of liquid makeup:
- The onboard moisturizers in liquid foundation help hydrate dry skin.
- If you have a unique skin tone, you're more likely to find a match with a liquid product than with a powder foundation.
- It's easier to apply and blend a liquid product into the skin than it is to apply a powder foundation, especially for a beginner.
- Liquid foundation is very effective at producing a luminous finish.
- It also does a good job of filling and concealing fine lines and enlarged pores, temporarily at least.
The disadvantages of liquid makeup:
- Liquid foundation can look shiny and wet when perspiration or excess oil is present on the skin.
- Wearing the wrong liquid formulation for your skin type can leave your makeup looking cakey and artificial.
- Moisture and oil can accumulate in lines and wrinkles after hours of wear, emphasizing instead of concealing them.
- Heavy coverage liquid foundation may cause clogged pores and blemishes.
Liquid foundation is most effective when used on medium to dry skin. It moisturizes, provides excellent coverage for fine lines, even with relatively lightweight formulations, and is easy to apply. It's also very popular, so your favorite cosmetic manufacturer probably has a comprehensive liquid makeup product line with a shade and consistency that will work for you.
- Cosmetics: What Women Buy, How They Buy It and Why
- 5 Secrets to Covering Scars With Makeup
- Makeup for Women of Color
- Summer Makeup Essentials
- How to Organize Makeup
- Ellis, Kori. "Flawless & Healthy Mineral Makeup." 5/19/08. (8/13/12). http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/803960/applying-mineral-makeup
- Kiss Me Goodnight. "Your Makeup Foundation: Liquid or Powder." 2006. (8/13/12). http://www.kissmegoodnight.com/beauty-secrets/liquid_or_powder_makeup_foundations.shtml
- Makeup Information. "Liquid vs. Powder Foundation: What's Best?" 3/8/11. (8/13/12). http://www.makeupinfor.com/liquid-vs-powder-foundation-whats-best/
- Matlin, Jessica. "Problems with Foundation: The Puzzle Solved." Oprah. 9/2007. (8/13/12). http://www.oprah.com/style/How-to-Choose-and-Use-the-Right-Foundation/2
- Oprah.com. "A Field Guide to Mineral Makeup." 12/2007. (8/13/12). http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Mineral-Makeup-Guide
- Rouleau, Renee. "Powder vs. Liquid Foundation Makeup: What's Best for My Skin Type?" 1/4/12. (8/13/12). http://blog.reneerouleau.com/2012/01/powder-vs-liquid-foundation-makeup-whats-best-for-my-skin-type/
- Stylish and Trendy. "Mineral Makeup For Women – What Is Mineral Makeup." (8/13/12). http://www.stylishandtrendy.com/beauty/makeup-trends/mineral-makeup-for-women-what-is-mineral-make-up/