The eyebrows are often described as frames that showcase the eyes. Those thin strips of hair make a surprising and dramatic difference in the look of your eyes. When you start using eye makeup, it won't take long to discover that the emphasis you place on your lashes and lids needs to extend to your brows to create a good balance. That usually means shaping and the addition of some color.
The brush -- There are a number of eyebrow brush styles on the market. They can look like miniature hairbrushes, spiral (mascara style) applicators or even like angled eyeshadow brushes. The most flexible and useful eyebrow brushes have long handles and heads with short, stiff, angled bristles. This design makes the brush useful for shaping brow hairs as well as applying waxes, powders or creams. If your brows tend to be unruly, look for a combo, dual end, brush with a second, spiral style applicator on the handle end. You'll be able to tame and tint your eyebrows with one tool.
The technique -- Very few eyebrows feature a perfect, full arch. An angled eyebrow brush is very good at filling in sparse spots (possibly from an overzealous plucking session) and defining a smooth even curve. Start by using short strokes to apply product to your brows, and then lengthen your strokes as you achieve even distribution. Employ the spiral to remove excess product.
- Bella Sugar. "Tools of the Trade: BellaSugar's Guide to Makeup Brushes." 5/12/07. (8/13/12). http://www.bellasugar.com/Tools-Trade-BellaSugars-Guide-Makeup-Brushes-248446
- Copeland, Blythe. "Perfect Your Beauty Routine with Natural Makeup Brushes." TLC. (8/13/12). https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/style/perfect-beauty-routine-with-natural-makeup-brushes.htm
- Free Beauty Tips. "Types of Makeup Brushes: How to Use Different Brushes to Apply Cosmetics." (8/13/12). http://www.freebeautytips.org/makeupbrushes.html
- Guglielmetti, Petra. "Makeup Brushes 101." Women's Day. (8/13/12). http://www.womansday.com/style-beauty/beauty-tips-products/makeup-brushes-101-80560
- Luke, Lauren. "Favorite Makeup Brushes." Oprah.com. 6/15/10. (8/13/12). http://www.oprah.com/style/Lauren-Lukes-Favorite-Makeup-Brushes
- Makeup Geek. "Makeup 101: Must Have Makeup Brushes." (8/13/12). http://www.makeupgeek.com/articles/makeup-101-must-have-makeup-brushes/
- Makeup Talk Blog. "Makeup Brushes 101." 8/6/11. (8/13/12). http://www.makeuptalk.com/beautyblog/makeup-brushes-101/
- Mayyasi, Erica. "Brush Up On Brushes." She Knows. 3/13/09. (8/13/12). http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/808148/makeup-brush-guide
- Michalak, Jodie. "Makeup Brushes." Love to Know. (8/13/12). http://makeup.lovetoknow.com/Makeup_Brushes
- Painted Ladies. "Breaking Down Beauty: Finding the Apples of Your Cheeks!" 1/20/10. (8/13/12). http://www.painted-ladies.com/breaking-down-beauty-finding-the-apples-of-your-cheeks/
- Recipes for Life. "7 Makeup Brushes Every Woman Needs." (8/13/12). http://o5.com/7-makeup-brushes-every-woman-needs/
- Van Boven, Sarah. "How to Choose Makeup Brushes." (8/13/12). http://www.allure.com/beauty-trends/how-to/2009/choose_makeup_brushes