2000 to 2009
The first decade of the new millennium brought with it many adjustments to men's fashion. The decade started slow, with several carryovers from the '90s (most notably baggy jeans), but, like the 1960s, color came back into the mainstream. Indigos, browns and blacks and were replaced by vibrant, shiny shades of almost any color, including pink.
Large hooded sweatshirt ("hoodies") remained popular, as did trucker hats, which are mesh and foam baseball caps designed to appear low-budget and blue-collar.
In the latter half of the decade, skinny jeans (imagine the tightness of '80s spandex combined with denim) and classically styled high-top sneakers such as Converse Chuck Taylor and PF Flyer shoes became the height of men's casual attire.
- 90s 411. "90s Grunge Fashion." 2010. (Sept. 23, 2010).http://www.90s411.com/grunge-fashion.html
- Cosgrove, Stuart. "The Zoot-suit and Style Warfare." History and Workshop Journal. Vol. 18, pp. 77-91. Smithsonian.org. Autumn 1984. (Sept. 21, 2010).http://invention.smithsonian.org/centerpieces/whole_cloth/u7sf/u7materials/cosgrove.html
- Esquire. "The Evolution of Men's Style: 1933-2008." Aug. 14, 2008. (Sept. 20, 2010).http://www.esquire.com/style/style-evolution-0908
- Fashion Encyclopedia. "Oxford bags." 2010. (Sept. 20, 2010).http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/fashion_costume_culture/Modern-World-1919-1929/Oxford-Bags.html
- --- "Men's Suits." 2010. (Sept. 21, 2010)http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/fashion_costume_culture/Modern-World-1930-1945/Men-s-Suits.html
- Goldstein, Lauren. "What We Wore Simply Put…" CNN. Nov. 22, 1999. (Sept. 21, 2010).http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1999/11/22/269130/index.htm
- Godwin, Maurice. Former University of Memphis Fraternity Model. Personal interview conducted by Chris Obenschain. (Sept. 22, 2010).
- Goodwin, Susan and Becky Bradley. "American Cultural History: 1960- 1969." Lone Star College, Kingwood. Aug. 2009. (Sept. 25, 2010).http://kclibrary.lonestar.edu/decade60.html
- Moraes, Frank R. "Jawaharlal Nehru." Encyclopedia Britannica. 2010. (Sept. 25, 2010).http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/408232/Jawaharlal-Nehru
- The Solis Company. "The History of Men's Fashion: 1900 - 1920" 2010. (Sept. 20, 2010).http://store.soliscompany.com/hiofmefa1919.html
- Wisconsin History. "Patterns of History: 1878 Men's Sack Suit." 2002. (Sept. 30, 2010).http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/patterns/1878sacksuitinfo.html
Swimsuits have undergone a tremendous overhaul over the last century or so. Dive into the history of swimsuits with the Dressed podcast.