This depends a lot on your company's culture, but you might be surprised at how willing they are to work with you on your transition back to work. You might be able to come back part time at first, work flex hours or even telecommute for part of each week as you get adjusted after your maternity leave.
Also, stay in touch with your employer on a regular basis to keep them informed of your plans -- if you decide you don't want to go back to work, it's probably a good idea to let them know as soon as possible!
For more tips and information about maternity leave and working moms, check out the next page.
- Fact or Fiction: Maternity Leave
- 5 Ways to Catch Some Extra ZZZs on Maternity Leave
- 5 Things to Know: Finding Day Care
- Don't Want to Go Back to Work After Maternity Leave? 10 Things to Think About
- Top 10 Mom Businesses
- 10 Careers for Power Moms
- How to Figure Out if You Can Afford Not to Go Back to Work after Maternity Leave
- Are you doing too much while on maternity leave?
- Why does maternity leave end when the baby gets fun?
- Mattioli, Dana. "Maternity Test: The Dos and Don'ts of Taking Maternity Leave From Your Finance Job." Fins Finance. June 7, 2010. (Dec. 14, 2010)http://www.fins.com/Finance/Articles/SB124699448586307229/The-Dos-and-Don-ts-of-Taking-Maternity-Leave-From-Your-Finance-Job
- Ralston, Jeannie. "The State of Maternity Leave." Parenting. 2009. (Dec. 14, 2010)http://www.parenting.com/pregnancy/article/The-State-of-Maternity-Leave
- U.S. Department of Labor. "Fact Sheet #28B: FMLA leave for birth, bonding, or to care for a child with a serious health condition on the basis of an 'in loco parentis' relationship." July 2010. (Dec. 14, 2010)http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28B.pdf
- U.S. Department of Labor. "Family and Medical Leave Act." (Dec. 14, 2010)http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm
- Young, Maria. "Your Maternity Leave Plan of Action." Parents. August 2010. (Dec. 15, 2010)http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-life/maternity-paternity-leave/your-maternity-leave-plan-of-action/
Are we in a golden age of paternity leave? Find out why this employee perk is becoming more common at HowStuffWorks Now.