How many times have you thought, "I wish I'd asked Granny about why she left Indiana," or some equivalent missing piece of the family story.
Family stories may be the most valuable treasure that you pass down to your descendants. Those stories can provide your heirs with a personal history that gives them a sense of where they come from. What's more, stories can also be an incredibly valuable source of information for future archivists and historians. So, tell your story for posterity.
If you're not fond of writing, get hold of a tape recorder and just talk! You may not think that your life story is of any interest, but your descendants certainly will.
- 5 Things to Do Before Passing Down an Heirloom
- 5 Things To Set Aside for Children Before They're Born
- 5 Wacky Family Heirlooms
- 10 Most Common Heirlooms
- How to Designate a Family Heirloom
- How Estate Sales Work
- How Organ Donation Works
- How Wills Work
- What are the best frequent flyer programs?
- What's a good age to give kids their heirlooms?
- What do your family heirlooms say about you?
- Baines, Barry K. and James K. Larson. Ethical Wills: Putting Your Values on Paper. Da Capo Press. 2001.
- Bennett, Andrea and George Hobica. Airfarewatchdog. "Frequent flyer miles can be inherited but it takes some work… and a fee on some airlines." June 6, 2009. (July 15, 2010).http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/3802233/frequent-flyer-miles-can-be-inherited-but-it-takes-some-work--and-a-fee-on-some-airlines/
- Branswell, Helen. The Star. "How to donate your body to science." Nov. 24, 2008. (July 15, 2010).http://www.thestar.com/article/542582
- Chura, Hillary. The New York Times. "Bequeathing, With Strings Attached." Jan. 5, 2008. (July 15, 2010).http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/business/yourmoney/05money.html
- Freedman, Donna. MSN.com. "The no-cost funeral: Donate your body." (July 15, 2010).http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/PlanYourEstate/the-no-cost-funeral-donate-your-body.aspx
- Osborne, Hilary. The Guardian. "Putting a Price on Valuable Collections." May 15, 2009. (July 15, 2010).http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/may/15/insurance-valuations
- Safe Estate Plans, LLC. "Joint Tenancy, is it right for you? Probably not!" (July 15, 2010).http://www.safeestateplans.com/joint_tenancy.htm
- Wadler, Joyce. The New York Times. "The Tyranny of the Heirloom." June 26, 2008. (July 15, 2010).http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/garden/26inheritance.html?_r=1
Can you identify the 10 most common heirlooms? Learn about the 10 most common heirlooms at TLC Family.