Plants from the nursery can make a colorful splash as a sunny flower garden in your yard. This garden activity for kids has a great payoff and can launch them on a lifetime of gardening for fun.
What You'll Need:
- 4' x 3' garden patch
- Bagged compost
- Bagged mulch (optional)
- Small sprinkler
Step 1: Choose a garden spot that gets six or more hours of sun a day.
Step 2: Pull weeds, and dig up soil until it crumbles.
Step 3: Spread a one-inch layer of bagged compost over the soil and mix it in.
Step 4: Buy plants at a garden center. Buy small, healthy annuals that aren't flowering.
Step 5: Set your plants on the bed and arrange them. Give the young plants plenty of room.
Step 6: With your trowel, dig a hole for each plant.
Step 7: Turn the pot over, and tap the plant into your hand. Loosen the root ball with your fingers, and set the roots into the soil.
Step 8: Water your plants with a sprinkler every few days.
Step 9: Pick your flowers often to keep the plants blooming.
For more fun outdoor activities and games for kids, check out:
ABOUT THE DESIGNERS
- Miniature Garden by Lisa Lerner and Kersten Hamilton
- Day and Night Flip Stones by Lisa Lerner and Kersten Hamilton
- Sunflower Fort by Maria Birmingham, Karen E. Bledsoe and Kelly Milner Halls
- Fruit Seed Garden by Maria Birmingham, Karen E. Bledsoe and Kelly Milner Halls
- Cucumber in a Bottle by Maria Birmingham, Karen E. Bledsoe and Kelly Milner Halls
- Sunny Flower Garden by Maria Birmingham, Karen E. Bledsoe and Kelly Milner Halls