While gaining control of their unwieldy head is a gradual process, turning over is one milestone that seems to appear out of the blue in babies — a milestone that parents anxiously await.
- At 4 or 5 months, your baby will be able to roll over in one direction only (either back-to-stomach or stomach-to-back).
- She probably won't be able to flip herself in the opposite direction until 6 or 7 months.
You can encourage rolling by:
1. Providing baby with plenty of space and opportunity to practice. The floor is always great for this.
2. Praise baby. Talk to her and encourage her as she practices rolling.
3. Hold an object of interest, such as a rattle or a baby mirror, next to her. This can catch her attention and entice her to turn her body to see it.