Recycled T-Shirt Quilts
One of the best ways to show off your many old T-shirts is by turning them into a super soft T-shirt quilt. Many people even choose to make "theme" quilts, using all their old vacation shirts, sorority wear or child's sports jerseys.
To make a recycled T-shirt quilt, you'll need:
- Fabric for sashing and borders (optional)
- Batting (optional)
First, decide on the layout of your T-shirts. Lay them out and view them together. Consider the colors and designs as you create your arrangement. Fuse the interfacing to your T-shirts per the manufacturer's instructions. Cut all of your T-shirts to the same size blocks. It's a good idea to use a piece of cardboard to create a template so you don't have to measure every time. If you're including sashing, make sure to leave some extra room so the sashing doesn't cover up the T-shirt designs.
You can begin sewing at one corner, and then go in either rows or columns along your quilt. Once you have finished, you may want to layer with batting and then the backing. If you're using a heavier backing, like flannel, you can skip the batting.
Now you have a bunch of great projects that will help you recycle some old clothes and free up some drawer space. Grab your favorite shirts and start sewing. To learn more, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Links
- All Free Crafts. "Shirt Throw Pillow." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/tshirt-pillow.shtml
- Campus Quilt Company. "T-Shirt Pillow." (Accessed 4/10/09)http://www.campusquilt.com/order/t-shirt-pillow.html
- Craft Bits. "T-shirt Pillow." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=568
- Craft Stylish. "How to Crochet a Rug out of T-Shirts." January 13, 2009. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.craftstylish.com/item/39345/how-to-crochet-a-rug-out-of-t-shirts
- Crazy Mom Quilts. "Rag Rug Tutorial." February 21, 2008. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/02/rag-rug-tutorial.html
- Doctorow, Cory. "How to Make a T-shirt rug." Boing Boing. April 19, 2008. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/19/howto-make-a-tshirt.html
- Earth Friendly Rag Rugs. "Tips and Tricks with Tees." (Accessed 4/10/09)http://the-shirt-off-your-back.com/TricksandTIpswithTees.html
- Drieu, Natalie Zee. "Crochet T-Shirt Rag Rug." Craftzine. May 30, 2007. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/05/crochet_tshirt_rag_rug.html
- Mahoney, Kelli. "T-Shirt Pillow." Thrifty Fun. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf538049.tip.html
- PBS Kids. "T-shirt Pillow." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/do/tshirtpillow.html
- Savvy Seams. "Recycle Your Favorite T-Shirt Throw Pillow." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.savvyseams.com/apt/tpillow.php
- Sipper, R. Ann. "Recycled Craft Project: Free T-Shirt Pillow Covers Anyone Can Make." Associated Content. January 31, 2007. (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/132143/recycled_craft_project_free_tshirt.html?cat=24
- Straw. "Tee Shirt Quilt - How to." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/teequilts_how.html
- T Shirt Quilts. "Keepsake Theme Quilts and Wall Hangings." (Accessed 4/10/09) http://www.tshirtquilts.com/