Basketball Bead Toss
The Basketball Bead Toss tests your hand-eye coordination. How many tries will it take to make a basket? When you've mastered the technique of swinging and catching the bead in the basket, challenge a friend to try their luck.
How to Make the Basketball Bead Toss
What You'll Need:
- Paper Egg Carton
- Acrylic Paint: white, red, burnt orange
- Clear Acrylic Gloss Spray
- 14-inch Wooden Dowel, 3/8-inch diameter
- Wooden Bead, 1 inch
- 1 large thumbtack
- 1 small eye screw
- 20 inches String or Yarn
- Black fine-point permanent marker
- Craft glue
- Tape Measure
- Small finishing nail
1. Cut an egg cup from one of the corners of the carton, making sure to include the tall edge that separates the cups. This becomes the back of the basket. Neatly trim the remaining edges, and paint the basket white. Let dry; seal with clear gloss spray. 2. Once the spray is dry, use permanent marker to draw cross-hatched diagonal lines to look like netting.
3. Paint the dowel red and the bead burnt orange; let dry. Seal with clear gloss spray; let dry completely. Draw black basketball lines on the bead using permanent marker. Set aside.
4. Push a thumbtack through the tall edge of the basket from the inside out. Run a 1-inch-long line of glue at the top of the dowel. With the tall edge of the egg cup aligned with the top of the dowel, press the cup onto the glue, pushing the tack into the dowel.
Ask a grown-up to help you use a hammer to pound the tack in if necessary. Hold the cup in place until the glue takes hold; let dry completely.
5. Measure 2 inches down from the top of the dowel, and use the finishing nail and hammer to make a starter hole on the back of the dowel, opposite the basket. Remove the nail, and twist the small eye screw into the hole.
6. Tie one end of the string to the eye screw. Slip the other end through the bead; tie to secure. Add a drop of glue to both knots.
The Brokenhearted Puzzle is a great way to send a message to your valentine. Find out how to create this paper game on the next page.