We're not suggesting you encourage underage drinking by breaking out in a chorus of "Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall." But you can have fun belting out other, more age-appropriate tunes as a group. There are plenty of available CDs in the "Kids Music" section of your local music store. And if you have a satellite radio subscription, you can even tune in to a kid-centric channel.
So next time you have to drive a great distance and wonder how you'll keep your loving little balls of energy from driving you crazy -- don't panic. Just remember that with a little creativity, inclusion and not all that much cash, you actually can make getting there almost as great an experience as the destination itself.
For more ideas about how to entertain kids on a road trip as well as other related topics, follow the links below.
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Drives in the United States
- 10 Must-haves for a Family-friendly Resort
- 10 Family-friendly Pool Games
- 5 Most Popular Honeymoon Spots in the World
- 10 Best Places for Outdoorsy Types to Live
- 10 Most Dangerous Places You Should Definitely Visit
- 10 Most Dangerous Places for Shark Attacks
- 10 Most Breathtaking Views in the World
- Can you cook a meal on your car's engine?
- How can you visit all 30 baseball stadiums in a season?
- What's so special about Route 66?
- BBC. "Things to Keep Children Amused on Long Journeys." Aug. 18, 2000. (Feb. 10, 2010) http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A397398
- CNET. "Kids in tow: get the gear you need." (Feb. 8, 2010) http://www.cnet.com/1990-11212_1-6460560-1.html
- DeMarco, Peter. "Car games still speed long trips." Boston.com. May 24, 2009. (Feb. 10, 2010) http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2009/05/24/car_games_still_speed_long_trips/
- Ogintz, Eileen. "Surviving (maybe even enjoying) a road trip." MSNBC. July 9, 2009. (Feb. 12, 2010) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31804799
- Van Kirk, John. "25 Travel Games for Children." Travel Answer Man. Dec. 18, 2009. (Feb. 10, 2010) http://www.travelanswerman.com/Blog/?p=2116
Forts are fun for kids and adults. See 10 forts to build with kids to create the ultimate play experience.