There are plenty of educational and community-service-oriented programs out there, but some let kids do what kids do best: have fun. That's not to say that entertaining topics won't also engage children and help them pick up valuable information and skills. Take, for example, the Lego League that one New Jersey school offers to students. It gives kids an opportunity to improve their building skills while doing something they like. Another school in Baltimore provides afternoon magic classes -- a course that's sure to spark children's creativity.
There really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to after-school programs. The options really are as boundless as a child's imagination.
Keep reading for lots more educational information.
- Afterschool Alliance. "Afterschool, Community Service and Volunteerism." 2004. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/issue_10_comm.cfm
- AfterSchool.gov. "Activity Ideas -- Academics & Enrichment." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.afterschool.gov/xhtml/topic/t_2.html
- After-School All-Stars. "Facts about After School Programs and At-Risk Youth." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.afterschoolallstars.org/site/pp.asp?c=enJJKMNpFmG&b=854685
- Assistant Secretary of Planning and Evaluation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. "Childhood Obesity." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/child_obesity/
- Clay Café Studios. "After School Art Programs." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.claywire.com/programs.htm
- Denver Botanic Gardens. "After School Programs." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.botanicgardens.org/content/after-school-programs
- Hampstead Academy. "After School Enrichments." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.hampsteadacademy.org/curriculum/after_school.php
- Hechinger, John. "U.S. Teens Lag as China Soars on International Test." Bloomberg News. Dec. 7, 2010. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/teens-in-u-s-rank-25th-on-math-test-trail-in-science-reading.html
- Junior Achievement. "High School Program: JA Company Program." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.ja.org/programs/programs_high_coprgrm.shtml
- Junior Achievement. "Middle School Program: JA It's My Business!" (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.ja.org/programs/programs_mid_mybusiness.shtml
- Leeper, John. " DHS team wins investment contest." State Gazette. May 10, 2002. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.stategazette.com/story/1026854.html
- Mad Science. "After-School Programs." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.madscience.org/ourServices/afterSchool.aspx
- Nitkin, Karen. "Ilchester Elementary pupils have a great time in school -- after school." Baltimore Sun. March 29, 2004. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-03-29/news/0403290195_1_homework-club-programs-ilchester
- San Francisco SPCA. "After-School Junior Volunteers." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.sfspca.org/programs-services/youth-programs/after-school-junior-volunteers
- Tempero, Suzelle. "Economics 101." Dayton Business Journal. May 22, 2006. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2006/05/22/focus1.html
- Tippen, Molly. "Teachers fight to keep funding for strong arts programs." The Oakland Press. Dec. 12, 2010. (Dec. 13, 2010)http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/12/12/news/local_news/doc4d04058eaf8be978811521.txt
- The Wellington School. "After School and Summer Options." (Dec. 13, 2010)http://www.wellington.org/programs/afterschool
Forts are fun for kids and adults. See 10 forts to build with kids to create the ultimate play experience.