It can be difficult to stick to lifestyle changes, even when you've got an important goal to reach -- like slipping into a bikini on your honeymoon. Of course, you probably start each day with plenty of resolve. And then hunger strikes.
The truth is, it's hard to think clearly when your stomach's calling for food, and for some people, meal replacement shakes don't seem to satisfy for more than an hour or two. The amount of liquid doesn't distend the stomach the same way a large meal of solid foods would, so try tricking your tummy. Drink an 8-ounce glass of water with each meal replacement shake.
In addition, make sure you aren't going too long without food. You should be splitting your intake into five small meals a day. You can also add low-calorie fruits or veggies. The fiber will help you feel full; just remember to include the additional calories in your overall daily count.
Although it's generally OK to consume meal replacement shakes during a weight-loss phase (even if takes several weeks), shakes are a short-term solution. In the long haul, meal replacement shakes may cause bowel problems because of their meager fiber content and, because you're not eating whole foods, you're at risk of eventually depleting vital nutrients.
As with any dietary change, balance is key. So during your one "proper" meal each day, include whole grains, lean protein, fruits and vegetables to keep the body functioning properly. With these strategies, you'll be ready for your wedding day and beyond.
- 10 Best Dieting Tips for Brides
- 10 Popular Beauty Treatments for Brides
- 10 Diet Destroyers Lurking at Your Bridal Shower
- 10 Tips and Tricks for Avoiding Newlywed Weight Gain
- 10 Slimming Snacks and Meals for Your Wedding Diet
- Buff for the Big Day: 10 Best Exercises for Brides
- 5 Tips for Relieving Wedding Stress
- How much weight is safe (and realistic) to lose before your wedding?
- Anderson, L. "Weight Loss Products and Programs." December 2008. (March 3, 2011) Colorado State University.http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09363.html
- BodyBuilding.com. "Meal Replacement Powders." (March 4, 2011)http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mrps.html
- Consumer Search. "Meal-Replacement Diets." January 2011. (March 3, 2011)http://www.consumersearch.com/weight-loss-programs/meal-replacement-diets
- Gower, Timothy. "Drink Yourself Skinny." Nov. 11, 2004. (March 3, 2011) MensHealth.com.http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-meal-replacement-drinks
- Hilderbrandt, Kylie. "Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss: Things You Really Should Know." (March 7, 2011) SelfGrowth.com.http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/meal-replacement-shakes-for-weight-loss-things-you-really-should-know
- iVillage. "The Truth About Meal Replacement." April 7, 2010. (March 7, 2011)http://www.ivillage.com/truth-about-meal-replacement/4-a-142445
- Zeratsky, Katherine. "Protein Shakes: Good for Weight Loss?" (March 3, 2011) MayoClinic.com.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/protein-shakes/AN01332