Stress has a jarring effect on your hair's growth cycle. Normally, a hair grows for a few years, rests for a few months, and then falls out. You shed from 50 to 100 hairs a day through this process.
Stress can send some hairs into early retirement. Then, when they fall out, along with the regularly scheduled drop-outs, the results can be startling.
Both physical and emotional stress can contribute to the problem. In the hectic days of wedding planning, take time to get enough sleep and eat right. Our tips on eating for healthy hair are sound nutritional advice in general. They can also help you lose any unhealthy weight before the last fitting for your wedding dress. Crash diets are major stress inducers.
Preserve your mental health, too. The bride may be the star of the show, but she doesn't have to be director, producer and prop manager as well. Let other people take care of some details. And think about what really matters. Ask yourself: Is anyone going to remember, much less care, whether the Pinot Grigio served at the rehearsal dinner was domestic or imported?
Granted, it's unlikely that a few months of pre-wedding stress will leave you looking like a hairless terrier on your honeymoon. But the effect is cumulative. Learn to manage stress now and chances are good that you'll still have the lovely head of hair 10 years from now as when you walked down the aisle.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. "Dryer Sheets." ScienceNetLinks. (Sept. 23, 2012) http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/dryer-sheets/
- Doheny, Kathleen. "How Not to Wreck Your Hair." WedMD. April 8, 2011. (Sept. 24, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/how-not-to-wreck-your-hair
- Goodreads. "Alice Hoffman Quotes." Goodreads.com. (Sept. 26, 2012) http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3502.Alice_Hoffman
- Groshen, David. "7 Methods to Get What You Want for Your Wedding Day." DavidGroshen.com. (Sept. 26, 2012) http://www.davidgroshen.com/7-step-method/7-steps-to-get-what-you-want-for-your-wedding-day
- Mayo Clinic. "Dandruff: Treatment and Drugs." Nov. 23, 2010. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
- Murphy, Pat. "Better Hair Through Chemistry." The Exploratorium Magazine Online, Summer 1998. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/hair/index.html
- NaturallyCurly.com. "CurlySuzy Q&A: Help Me Understand Alcohols." Aug. 23, 2010. (Sept. 27, 2012) http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlysuzy-qa-help-me-understand-alcohols
- Parker, Hilary. "Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair." WebMD. July 6, 2011. (Sept. 19, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair
- Saling, Joseph. "The effects of Stress on Your Hair." WebMD. Aug. 2, 2012. (Sept. 28, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effects?page=1
- Sustaita, Hilda. "A Close Look at the Properties of Hair and Scalp." Houston Community College -- Northwest. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.texascollaborative.org/hildasustaita/module/files/overview.htm
- The Beauty Brains. "Is It Okay to Use Fine Hair Products on Thick Hair?" TheBeautyBrains.com. July 27, 2012. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://thebeautybrains.com/2012/07/27/is-it-okay-to-use-fine-hair-products-on-thick-hair/
- The Beauty Brains. "How Shampoos Work -- Part 3." TheBeautyBrains.com. May 5, 2006. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/05/05/how-shampoos-work-part-3/
- The Beauty Brains. "Want Shiny Hair? Avoid the Dulling Dozen!" TheBeautyBrains.com. July 17, 2007. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/07/12/want-shiny-hair-avoid-the-dulling-dozen/
- The Beauty Brains. "What Is Hair Made Of?" TheBeautyBrains.com. April 18, 2006. (Sept. 26, 2012) http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/04/18/what-is-hair-made-of/
- Usigan,Ysolt. "Brush Versus Comb: Are You Using the Right One?" The Blush. March 10, 2012. (Sept. 24, 2012) http://theblush.com/2012/03/10/should-i-use-a-brush-or-comb/
- WebMD "Quiz: Do You Know How to Fix Problem Hair?" WebMD.com. Aug. 16, 2012. (Sept. 22, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/health-beauty/rm-quiz-hair-problems-fixes
- Wood, Kate. "Wedding Hairstyles: Wedding Hair Tips for Your Wedding Weather." TheKnot.com. (Sept. 26, 2012) http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-beauty-tips/wedding-hairstyles-updos/articles/bridal-tips-for-your-wedding-weather.aspx?MsdVisit=1
- Zevola, Nicki. "What Can Be Done for Split Ends?" Futurederm.com. June 26, 2012. (Sept. 23, 2012) http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/26/what-can-be-done-for-split-ends/
Mature brides might want a classier palate for their wedding day. Check out this makeup guide for the mature bride.