Onions are anti-inflammatory and fight bacteria and infection, and they're high in polyphenols, meaning onions could help prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease. Red onions are even believed to improve the memory because they contain flavonol quercetin, an antioxidant that benefits the brain.
However, even though onions are good for your health and lend salads, sandwiches and other foods a tasty kick, they can also leave you with an offensive odor and very bad breath. Avoid this potent vegetable two to three days before the wedding to ensure you walk down the aisle smelling like a rose -- with fresh breath in anticipation of your first blissful kiss as man and wife.
- American Diabetes Services. "Natural Sugar Substitutes: 10 Healthier Alternatives to Refined Sugar." (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.americandiabetes.com/living-diabetes/diabetes-food-articles/natural-sugar-substitutes-10-healthier-alternatives-refined
- Dale, Heather. "Good-for-you Reasons to Love Red Onions." Fit Sugar. Oct. 14, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.fitsugar.com/Benefits-Nutrition-Red-Onions-19884741
- Foley, Michele. "Don't Be a Bloated Bride: 10 Foods to Avoid Before the Wedding." Fit Sugar. Aug. 10, 2012. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.fitsugar.com/Worst-Foods-Eat-Before-Getting-Married-23014824
- Fox News. "10 foods that make you smell." Feb. 11, 2012. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/02/11/10-foods-that-make-smell/
- Fox News. "Salt Shockers: 10 High-Salt Foods You Don't Expect." April 6, 2006. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190914,00.html
- Fritz, Anne L. "12 Foods That Stain Teeth." Everyday Health. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.everydayhealth.com/photogallery/12-foods-that-stain-teeth.aspx#/slide-1
- Katz, Harold, M.D. "Foods That Might Be Causing Bad Breath." Huffington Post. April 10, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-harold-katz/spicy-foods-bad-breath_b_846662.html
- Mirror. "Six tips to help you look your best on a wedding day." Aug. 25, 2008. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/six-tips-to-help-you-look-330988
- Oguntola, Sade. "Excessive alcohol weakens body's immunity against infections." Nigerian Tribune. Nov. 24, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/your-health/31723-excessive-alcohol-weakens-bodys-immunity-against-infections
- Parham, Kate. "Fight the flu, boost your immune system, one bite at a time." USA Today. Nov. 8, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/diet-nutrition/story/2011-11-07/Fight-the-flu-and-boost-your-immune-system-one-bite-at-a-time/51115742/1
- Project Wedding. "5 Foods You Should Avoid Before the Wedding." (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/5-foods-you-should-avoid-before-the-wedding
- Rodriguez, Diana. "Excessive Gas and the Foods You Eat." Everyday Health. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health-pictures/7-top-gas-producing-foods.aspx#/slide-1
- Scalbert, Augustin, Ian T Johnson and Mike Saltmarsh. "Polyphenols: antioxidants and beyond." American Society for Clinical Nutrition. 2005. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/1/215S.full
- Schlosser, Eric. "Americans Are Obsessed with Fast Food: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal." CBS News. Feb. 11, 2009. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-326858.html
- Stephens, Anastasia. "Secret Sugar Shock." Daily Mail. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-126977/Secret-sugar-shock.html
Mature brides might want a classier palate for their wedding day. Check out this makeup guide for the mature bride.