Sure, the design's the thing when it comes to wedding cakes. But guests still want it to taste good. Get the best of both worlds by pairing flavor and good looks -- and sampling our faves. Our summery pick was white cake layered with lemon curd and buttercream filling, topped with buttercream frosting. For an equally decadent feast for the eyes and palate, we loved a tiered cake coated in thick ganache with a dried coconut garnish. Two out-of-the-ordinary tastes that broke the traditional wedding cake mold.
- De Cicco, Diana. "Go Raw and Exotic." March 13, 2009. (March 25, 2011) SheKnows.com.http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/808135/exotic-food-carpaccio-recipes
- Epicurious. "Lobster Bisque en Croute." (March 25, 2011) Epicurious.com. http://www.epicurus.com/food/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=8309&category=New%20Years
- Favor Ideas. "How Sweet It Is: Building the Candy Buffet of Your Dreams." (March 25, 2011)http://www.favorideas.com/wedding-blog/candy-buffet-ideas/
- Gourmet Sleuth. "Crème Brulee." (March 25, 2011) GourmetSleuth.com. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Entertaining-Holidays-651/creme-brulee.aspx
- Martha Stewart Weddings. "Amazing Wedding Cakes 101." (March 28, 2011) MarthaStewartWeddings.com.http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/amazing-cakes#slide_1
- Martha Stewart Weddings. "Candies, Cakes and Cookies: Coconut Souffle." (March 23, 2011) MarthaStewartWeddings.com. http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/candies-cakes-and-cookies-coconut-souffle
- Martha Stewart Weddings. "50 Good Things to Eat and Drink at Your Wedding." (March 23, 2011) MarthaStewartWeddings.com. http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/50-good-things-to-eat
- Miller, Darcy. "Darcy's Idea of the Day." (October 7, 2010) TheBridesGuide.com. http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/2010/10/darcys-idea-of-the-day-250.html
Wedding guest lists are getting smaller. But it's not just because weddings are getting more expensive. HowStuffWorks looks at the microwedding trend.