Stick to a Schedule
Many guests tempted to cut and run would stick around an extra 10 minutes if they knew that delicious late-night snacks were on the docket. Keep your guests in the know with printed itineraries detailing the time line of reception events. Whether you hand them out at the door or place them on tabletops, these guides will give your friends and family a better idea of what to expect (and what they don't want to miss out on).
For example, my perfect wedding itinerary might read something like this:
- 7:00 - first dance 7:15 - dinner is served
- 8:00 - champagne toast
- 8:15 - break-dancing competition begins
- 9:00 - giant cake-sized brownie is served
- 10:30 - send-off featuring professional fireworks show
- 10:35 - hop a cab to local bar with other guests
Of course, you can customize the itinerary to fit your particular reception needs -- except for the giant brownie. That's non-negotiable.