Eventually, the happy couple flees the scene after the wedding and reception. Guests often give them a traditional send-off, making them walk through a shower of rice, birdseed or bubbles. This moment is a must-have candid photo opportunity for any wedding.
Besides the bride and groom, the getaway car is often a featured character in the event. Some couples go out in style in a limousine, classic car, or horse and carriage. A popular tradition for those using their personal cars is that members of the wedding party, often the groomsmen, will adorn the getaway car with shaving cream, streamers, aluminum cans and other décor as a gag gift to the couple. Besides taking pictures of the couple in the car, photograph the vehicle at different angles in advance so the couple can enjoy the details they might miss in the rush of the send-off.
Learn more about weddings by following the links below.
- Olson, Elizabeth. "Wedding Lore and Traditions." Information Please. Pearson Education, Inc. 2007. (May 21, 2010)http://www.infoplease.com/spot/weddinglore1.html
- Schaer, Robin Beth. "Ceremony: Muslim Wedding Rituals." (May 21, 2010)http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-ceremony/articles/muslim-wedding-ceremony-rituals.aspx
- Smith, Rose. "Wedding Customs & Traditions." Wedding Themes and More. (May 20, 2010)http://www.wedthemes.com/wedding-customs.shtml
- TheKnot.com. "Wedding Traditions & Superstitions: 50 Wedding Facts & Trivia." (May 20, 2010)http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-customs/articles/50-wedding-traditions-superstitions-facts-trivia.aspx
- WedAlert.com. "The Tale of Tossing of the Garter and other customs." (May 20, 2010)http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/tale_tossing_of_the_garter.asp
- WeddingChannel.com. "Hindu Wedding Traditions." (May 21, 2010)http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/wedding-ceremony-ideas/articles/hindu-wedding-traditions.aspx
The DJ can make or break your wedding reception. Identify bad candidates by learning 10 dead giveaways you've hired a dud DJ.