In a distinctly avant-garde move, palace officials have used Twitter to announce details of the royal wedding arrangements. We hope they're as modern-minded with the wedding budget as well. After all, we commoners who wed other commoners surely had to mind our dollars and cents. Unless we're Vanisha Mittal, daughter of steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal, of course.
When Mittal's only daughter wed in 2004, the Paris-based event cost more than $60 million, with guests housed in five-star hotels and invited to wedding parties hosted in specially constructed wooden castles and Versailles art galleries.
While the royal wedding may -- or may not -- top this $60 million high note, we like the tone you, the royal couple, has already set via special request. You've reportedly asked guests to make charitable donations rather than send lavish wedding gifts. That is a princely move we can certainly appreciate.
- 10 Silver Screen Princesses and Their To-die-for Hollywood Weddings
- 10 Reasons Not to Be Jealous of Princess Brides
- 10 Tips to Get a Princess-worthy Dress on a Budget
- 5 Prince William Wedding Rumors
- Real Princess or Disney Princess?
- How can I marry prince charming?
- Who pays for a royal wedding -- and how much does it cost?
- Blankfeld, Keren. "Weddings of the Billionaires." Feb. 12, 2009. (Jan. 31, 2010) Forbes.com.http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/12/billionaires-donald-trump-business-billionaires_0212_billionaire_weddings.html?feed=rss_people%20%20
- CBS News. "Wedding Fashions." (Jan. 31, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-503184_162-4929249-2.html
- Derschowitz, Jessica. "Prince William Keeping his Wedding Attire a Secret." Feb. 1, 2011. CBSnews.com.http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20030240-10391698.html
- Diamond Source of Virginia. "Famous Diamonds: The Taylor-Burton Diamond." (Jan. 27, 2011) Diamondsourceva.com.http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Education/FamousDiamonds/famous-diamonds-taylor-burton.asp
- Eden, Richard. "Royal Wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton Choose Charity Gifts." Jan. 16, 2011. The Telegraph.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8261895/Royal-wedding-Prince-William-and-Kate-Middleton-choose-charity-gifts.html
- Eden, Richard. "Royal Wedding: 'Supergroup' of Musicians to Perform for Prince William and Kate Middleton." Jan. 9, 2011. The Telegraph.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8247990/Royal-wedding-Supergroup-of-musicians-to-perform-for-Prince-William-and-Kate-Middleton.html
- Guinness Book of World Records. "Most Bridesmaids to One Bride." (Jan. 27, 2011) Guinnessworldrecords.com.http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search/Details/Mostbridesmaids-to-one-bride/98154.htm
- Guinness Book of World Records. "Oldest Bridesmaid." (Jan. 27, 2011) Guinnessworldrecords.com.http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Search/Details/Oldestbridesmaid/107711.htm
- Mailonline.com. "Like Father, Like Son: Prince William to Wear Military Uniform for Royal Wedding." Jan. 31, 2011. The Daily Mail.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1352245/Like-father-like-son-Prince-William-wear-military-uniform-Royal-wedding.html
- Martin, Cindy. "Diana's Dressmaker says Secrecy may be Key for Kate." Jan. 27, 2011. Yahoo.com.http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_royal_wedding_dressmaker
- MSNBC.com. "Kate Middleton to Forgo Horse-Drawn Carriage." Jan. 5, 2011.http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40922687/ns/today-today_people/
- MSNBC.com. "Slice of Diana's Wedding Cake Sells for $1,830." Aug. 29, 2008. (Jan. 31, 2011)http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26454772/ns/today-weddings/
- Perry, Simon. "Prince William & Kate Middleton Will Invite Some Members of Public to Wedding." People.com. (January 31, 2011)http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20445020,00.html
- Robbins, Katie. "Prince William and Kate Middleton's Royal Wedding Cake Conundrum." Nov. 18, 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011) Delish.com.http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/prince-william-and-kate-middleton-engagement-wedding-cake
- Sigell, Lisa. "$12 Million Wedding Gown." June 11, 2006. (Jan. 31, 2011) CBSNews.com.http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=1332134n
- Today Show. "The Royal Weeding, the Stuff of… Comic Books?" Jan. 12, 2011. TodayShow.com.http://windsorknot.todayshow.com/_news/2011/01/12/5824049-the-royal-wedding-the-stuff-of-comic-books
- US Magazine. "Nicole Ritchie's Wedding Elephant Explained." Dec. 14, 2010. (Jan. 31, 2011) USMagazine.com.http://www.usmagazine.com/stylebeauty/news/nicole-and-joel-m-20101412
- US Magazine. "Prince William, Kate to Ride in Carriage Post-Wedding, Just Like Diana." Jan. 5, 2011. Msn.com.http://wonderwall.msn.com/entertainment/prince-william-kate-to-ride-in-carriage-post-wedding-just-like-diana-1590186.story
Americans don’t have a royal family, but are fascinated by royalty. HowStuffWorks looks at five Americans who married into royalty.