Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier of Monaco
Grace Kelly lived the fairy tale that girls dream about. She was already an Oscar-winning princess of the silver screen, but when she married Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1956, she became actual royalty.
After a small, private civil ceremony the day before, Princess Grace (as she was known henceforth) had what many believe to be the wedding of the decade, if not the century. She wore a couture gown composed 300 yards of lace, 25 yards of taffeta and 98 yards of tulle. It sparkled with more than 800,000 sequins, a smattering of rhinestones and 1,500 pearls.
The entire population of Monaco -- more than 3,000 people -- attended the Catholic ceremony, and the event was filmed by MGM and shown in U.S. movie theaters.
- 10 Reasons Not to Be Jealous of Princess Brides
- 10 Biggest Wedding Expenses
- 10 Wedding Reception Rituals We Wish Would Die Already
- 10 Tips to Get a Princess-worthy Dress on a Budget
- 9 Stars Who Turned Down Memorable Roles
- How Tabloids Work
- How Paparazzi Work
- Your Cheat Sheet for Your Wedding Reception's Schedule of Events
- How can I marry prince charming?
- Who pays for a royal wedding -- and how much does it cost?
- Extra. "The Most Expensive Celebrity Weddings." Aug. 3, 2010. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2010/08/most_expensive_celebrity_weddings.php#2_grace_kelly_and_prince_rainier_of_monaco
- Goldman, Lea and Tatiana Serafin. "In Pictures: The 20 Most Expensive Celebrity Weddings." Forbes. 2011. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/12/celebrity-media-weddings-biz-media-cz_lg_ts_0712celebweddings_slide.html?thisSpeed=undefined
- The Knot. "Weddings Then and Now: Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and John F. Kennedy, September 12, 1953; Grace Kelly and Prince Ranier of Monaco, April 19, 1956." Wedding Channel. 2010. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/wedding-ceremony-ideas/articles/weddings_then-and-now-jacqueline-lee-bouvier-and-john-f-kennedy-september-12-1953-and-grace-kelly-and-prince-ranier-of-monaco-april-19-1956.aspx?MsdVisit=1
- Lapowsky, Issie. "Salma Hayek weds Francois-Henri Pinault - again." "NY Daily News." April 27, 2009. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/04/27/2009-04-27_salma_hayek_weds_francoishenri_pinault__again.html
- Life. "Grace Kelly's Wedding." 2011. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.life.com/image/50345294/in-gallery/25011#index/0
- O' Neill, Anne-Marie. "Some Enchanted Evening." People. Dec. 11, 2000. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20133195,00.html
- O' Neill, Anne-Marie. "Isn't it Romantic?" People." Aug. 14, 2000. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20132034,00.html
- Park, Jeannie. "He Does, She Does -- They Do!" People. Oct. 21, 1991. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20111095,00.html
- People. "Elizabeth Hurley's Wedding Photos Revealed!" March 14, 2007. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20014929,00.html
- Popsugar. "Salma and Francois Celebrate Their Second Wedding in Style." April 27, 2009. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.popsugar.com/Photos-Salma-Hayek-Francois-Henri-Pinaults-Wedding-Venice-Penelope-Cruz-Valentina-Javier-Bardem-Charlize-Theron-3080752
- Shah, Sonal J. "What to Expect at an Indian Wedding." The Knot. 2011. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://hindu.weddings.com/articles/indian-wedding-guest-faq.aspx
- Tauber, Michelle, Anne Marie Cruz and Michelle Tan. "A Wedding to Remember." People. Dec. 4, 2006. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20059746,00.html
- Tauber, Michelle, Karen S. Schneider and Jason Lynch. "They Do!" People. July 19, 2004. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20150581,00.html
- Vitka, William. "Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Marry." CBS. June 25, 2006. (Jan. 29, 2011).http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/25/entertainment/main1749361.shtml
Americans don’t have a royal family, but are fascinated by royalty. HowStuffWorks looks at five Americans who married into royalty.