If a woman is already a princess, then she's probably had some necessary practice at this last one. But if she's new to royalty, there's an awful lot to learn. Spouses who are unfamiliar with the trappings of monarchy must often be trained in the ways of refined society, upper-crust airs and the art of maintaining a squeaky-clean image. Then there are the public appearances which are so enormously numerous. Princesses must exhibit a polished presentation at all times; there's no room for uncouth behaviors.
Then there's the cadre of paparazzi princesses have to deal with, and that's no picnic. The public has always thirsted for knowledge (or as we mentioned earlier, straight-up gossip and speculation) concerning royal families, so princesses can expect round-the-clock company from the press. They'll also often need to cancel any major career plans they may have entertained, since the work of a princess will occupy the bulk of their time.
It's a life of privilege, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.
- 10 Classic Engagement Ring Styles
- 5 Sentiments to Engrave on Your Wedding Ring
- 10 Fun Things You Have to Do During Your Engagement
- 10 Signs You're Turning into Bridezilla
- 5 Tips to Get Princess-worthy Flowers on a Budget
- How Royalty Works
- Can I afford a wedding?
- Who pays for a royal wedding -- and how much does it cost?
- Axelsson, Xuefei Chen. "Sweden's royal wedding a combination of modernity, tradition." Xinhua News Agency. June 19, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-06/19/c_13358462.htm
- Craig, Olga and O'Mahoney, Paul. "Sweden celebrates the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria." The Telegraph. June 19, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/7840552/Sweden-celebrates-the-wedding-of-Crown-Princess-Victoria.html
- "Diana, Princess of Wales." Encyclopedia of Biographies. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.notablebiographies.com/De-Du/Diana-Princess-of-Wales.html
- Goodspeed, Peter. "Goodspeed Analysis: Is Love Enough?" National Post. Nov. 20, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/11/20/goodspeed-analysis-is-love-enough-for-a-royal-marriage/
- Hooper, Simon. "Royal engagement reveals less deferential, more meritocratic Britain." CNN. Nov. 18, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-18/world/uk.royal.engagement.reaction_1_princess-diana-royal-engagement-kate-middleton?_s=PM:WORLD
- Maer, Laura. "Royal Marriages -- Constitutional Issues." House of Commons. Dec. 2, 2008. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-03417.pdf
- Palmer, Brian. "The Explainer's Royal Wedding Roundup." Nov. 16, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.slate.com/id/2275116/
- "Population (1981) by country." Nation Master. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_pop-people-population&date=1981
- "Public Reaction Mixed on Royal Wedding." Feb. 10, 2005. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://articles.cnn.com/2005-02-10/world/public.reaction_1_parker-bowles-marriage-royal-wedding?_s=PM:WORLD
- "Royal Wedding Challenge: Make it grand, yet cheap." Manila Bulletin Publishing Company. Nov. 19, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.mb.com.ph/node/288361/royal-wedding-challenge-make-it-grand-yet-cheap
- "Royal wedding triggers monarchy debate in egalitarian Sweden buckling down to austerity." June 13, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/13/royal-wedding-triggers-monarchy-debate-egalitarian-sweden-buckling-austerity/#ixzz1BW3ER4n0
- "Sixty facts about a royal marriage." BBC. Nov. 18, 2007. (Jan. 20, 2010)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7100546.stm
- "Succession." The British Monarchy. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/Successionandprecedence/ Succession/Overview.aspx
- "The Princess Royal Biography." The Biography Channel. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biographies/princess-anne.html
- Wilson, Christopher. "Royal Wedding: Now For the Challenges the Young Couple Must Face." Express. Nov. 21, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/212808/Royal-Wedding-Now-for-the-challenges-the-young-couple-must-face-together
- Wilson, Jacque. "Meet some real-life princesses." CNN. April 8, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/04/07/real.life.princesses/index.html
- Yorke, Yvonne. "Princess Victoria's Wedding & the Triumph of Style in Sweden." The Huffington Post. June 27, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yvonne-yorke/princess-victorias-weddin_b_618666.html#s102919&title=undefined
- Zimonjic, Peter. "Unlucky at love -- royal weddings often end in common divorce." Vancouver Sun. Nov. 16, 2010. (Jan. 20, 2010) http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/ Unlucky+love+royal+weddings+often+common+divorce/3838566/story.html
Americans don’t have a royal family, but are fascinated by royalty. HowStuffWorks looks at five Americans who married into royalty.