For some celebrity brides, less is more. For other famous ladies, walking down the aisle is the ultimate excuse to show off the bling! These 10 famous women have made their mark in different ways, spanning industries that include music, modeling, TV and feature films. But as diverse as they are in personality and talent, they share one thing in common. They're all over-the-top, unique brides who aren't afraid of a little (or a lot) of dazzle.
Sparkles. Glitter. Accessories galore. Some of the outfits we're going to discuss are undeniably gorgeous, while others might be considered a little too much. Which of these celebrity brides are elegant and inspiring and which are downright garish? You be the judge.
Read the next page to learn how much bling the now plastic surgery-enhanced half of "Speidi" wore when walking down the aisle.
There's over-the-top brides, then there's Heidi Montag. She finished the 5th season of "The Hills" -- the reality show that made her famous -- by getting hitched to costar Spencer Pratt.
On her big day, Montag wore a strapless dress with a peacock feather design made out of silk organza by Monique Lhuillier. Not surprisingly, this was one bride who didn't hold back on frosting herself with jewels. Rhinestone detailing accented her waist, and she wore multiple necklaces, bracelets and a pair of chandelier earrings. And of course she sported bling on her finger: a canary diamond ring and a diamond eternity wedding band.
For some brides, less is more. Not for Montag -- pile on that dazzle!
In 2005, singer Christina Aguilera married music executive Jordan Bratman at a $2 million Jewish ceremony in Napa, Calif. She wore a $30,000 Spanish-style gown by Christian Lacroix that had a train with large, billowing ruffles. White flowers matching the color of her dress and jewels decorated her hair, which was covered with a veil in line with the vintage pin-up style she's known for. Lavish highlights include a $10,000 diamond rosary she held onto during the service and Christian Louboutin heels. Aguilera's jumbo, 5-carat diamond and platinum ring was the crowning element that made this diva one bedazzled, over-the-top bride.
If you want to go big on your wedding day, go royal. And if you're going to go royal, there's no bigger inspiration than Diana, Princess of Wales. That was Mariah Carey's attitude when she married music mogul Tommy Mottola in 1993. She didn't ape Diana's entire wedding wardrobe, but she got the most recognizable part of the princess' attire down: the train.
Just how bling was this train? It was 27 feet long (which is 2 feet longer than Diana's) and required six attendants to carry it. Of course, a super-flashy train is nothing without a similarly-themed dress, and Carey's gown was not exactly low-key. She wore an extremely low-cut, billowing Vera Wang gown that was, well, fit for a princess.
Before "The Bachelorette," Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter weren’t famous. But this couple earned celebrity status almost overnight when the reality show ended with their engagement, and their wedding was televised soon after. The lavish event near Palm Springs, Calif., is reported to have cost more than $3.5 million. Rehn wore a satin, strapless gown that cost $70,000, $50,000 diamond-encrusted heels and a loaned, $1 million Tacori necklace. Her bouquet of pink peonies was wrapped in silk and Swarovski crystals. She received two rings: a 2-carat band, pavé-set with round-cut diamonds that cost $25,000 and a 1.35-carat eternity band with heart detailing.
The $2 million wedding of Hollywood sweetheart Katie Holmes and superstar Tom Cruise in 2006 was an expensive and decadent affair. And Holmes dressed the part. The event took place at Odescalchi Castle -- a medieval estate in Italy -- and Giorgio Armani himself created her stunning off-the-shoulder wedding gown and flowing veil. The dress was made of ivory silk and adorned with Valenciennes lace and Swarovski crystals. To be fair, the dress wasn't all that flashy, but having a gown personally designed Armani is bling in itself, in our opinion. Although the price of the design hasn't been released, it's safe to assume it didn't come cheap.
But this blushing bride wore more than a wedding gown on her big day. She slipped into a peach silk organza dress for the reception and brought an ivory silk number to wear on her honeymoon, both of which were also custom-made by Armani.
Of course, Holmes was blinged-out before the wedding even began. The 5-carat engagement ring Cruise gave her features a large oval diamond with smaller encrusted diamonds.
Model and actress Elizabeth Hurley married Indian textile heir Arun Nayar in an wedding celebration that had two separate ceremonies -- one in England and the other in India -- in 2007. The two weddings cost an estimated $2.8 million and were outrageously extravagant, as was this blinged-out bride.
At the ceremony held at Sudeley Castle -- an English medieval estate -- Hurley wore a full-length, white chiffon gown by Versace with cascading ruffles on the skirt and a 2-foot train. She topped it off with a Chopard diamond tiara.
Her dress for the traditional Hindu ceremony in India was vastly different but no less spectacular. She wore a bright pink sari with golden detailing by Tarun Tahiliani, a renowned Indian fashion designer.
But this bride's biggest bling was her ring. Nayar gave her a wedding band studded with 138 diamonds, which isn't too surprising, considering her engagement ring weighs in at an astonishing 15 carats.
A million dollar wedding might seem like pocket change to Donald Trump, but the affair marking his marriage to celebrity model Melania Knauss in 2005 was nothing short of extravagant. The bride wore a white gown by Christian Dior embellished with more than 1,500 pearls and rhinestones. Knauss' 16-foot veil and 13-foot train weighed a combined total of more than 50 pounds! The dress alone is reported to have cost as much as $200,000.
Not surprisingly, this pricy getup wasn't conducive to dancing, so the bride changed into a lightweight tulle gown by Vera Wang during the reception. Her 15-carat diamond engagement ring is reported to have cost just under $1 million.
Many brides find it hard to decide on a dress to wear on their big day. But when you're Kim Kardashian, you don't have to. When the reality starlet married NBA player Kris Humphries in 2011, she wore three Vera Wang wedding dresses: a Cinderella-worthy ball gown, a Georgette mermaid dress and a satin party dress.
Everything about this bride was bedazzled to the max, especially her see-it-from-space, $2 million engagement ring reported to weigh a whopping 20.5 carats. Lorraine Schwartz designed it, as she did Kardashian's headpiece and wedding ring: a platinum band interlined with diamonds, weighing in at 12 carats. She went for a princess-meets-old-Hollywood style. Her look was classic, exotic and definitely over the top.
Hollywood A-list couple Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas said "I do" in a $1.5 million wedding celebration in 2000. Zeta-Jones wore an ivory beaded gown with a low-cut bodice imbedded with crystals designed by Christian Lacroix. The dress was made of satin and had a 6-foot, Chantilly lace train. She looked dazzling and so did that $2 million rock on her finger, a 10-carat diamond ring. She also borrowed and wore an Edwardian tiara by famous jewelry designer Fred Leighton. The ornate, antique design included numerous tiny diamonds, so she was sparkling from head to toe.
How can you discuss blinged-out brides without mentioning Grace Kelly? Her beauty, elegance and style make her one of the most famous brides of all time, but the movie star never appeared tacky or over the top when she wed Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956. She wore an ivory-colored wedding gown by Helen Rose, which was the most expensive dress the designer ever made. It's been the inspiration for countless wedding gowns since, including that of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. Twenty-five yards of silk taffeta, 100 yards of silk netting and 100-year-old lace were all used to make her famous dress. Besides her platinum, 10.47-carat ring, she wore a necklace, bracelet and earrings of diamonds and pearls, all custom-designed for her by Van Cleef & Arpels.
Bachelor parties date back to the time of the Spartans. HowStuffWorks dives into the history of these testosterone-filled bashes.
More Great Links
- Atlanta Social Season. "Celebrity Engagement Rings Shout Larger Diamonds, More Diamonds." (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.seasonmagazine.com/weddings/dynadiamond.htm
- Baker, Steven. "Heidi Montag After Surgery: 'I Wanted to Die.'" ABC. Jan 22, 2010. (Sept. 18, 2011) http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/heidi-montag-died-extensive-plastic-surgery/story?id=9623829
- Buckland, Lucy. "Oscar-winner Sofia Coppola weds Thomas Mars in Italian town of her ancestors." MailOnline. Aug. 29, 2011. (Sept. 11, 2011)http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2030891/Oscar-winner-Sofia-Coppola-weds-Thomas-Mars-Italian-town-ancestors.html
- Celebrity Bride Guide. "Melania Knauss and Donald Trump Wedding." Jan. 22, 2005. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/melania-knauss-donald-trump-wedding/
- Celebrity Bride Guide. "Christina Aguilera and Jason Bratman Wedding." Dec. 6, 2003. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/christina-aguilera-jordan-bratman-wedding/
- Celebrity Bride Guide. "Get Heidi Montag's Wedding Dress Style." April 27, 2009. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/heidi-montag-wedding-dress-style/
- Celebrity Bride Guide. "Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter Wedding." Dec. 6, 2003. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/trista-rehn-ryan-sutter-wedding/
- Copeland, Blythe. "5 Ridiculously Over-the-top, Extravagant Celebrity Weddings." Treehugger. July 8, 2009. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/07/5-ridiculously-over-the-top-extravagant-celebrity-weddings.php
- Fukuoka, Nicole. "Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Wedding Ring at the MTV VMAs!" Hollywood Life. Aug. 29. 2011. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2011/08/29/kim-kardashian-wedding-ring-mtv-vmas/
- Garcia, Jennifer."Exclusive: Kim Kardashian's 'Perfect' 20.5 Carat Diamond Engagement Ring!" People. May 25, 2011. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2011/05/25/kim-kardashian-diamond-engagement-ring/
- Garcia, Jennifer. "Kim Kardashian's Wedding Hair and Makeup: All the Details!" People. Aug. 25, 2011. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2011/08/25/kim-kardashian-wedding-hair-and-makeup/
- Goldman, Lea and Tatiana Serafin. "In Pictures: The 20 Most Expensive Celebrity Weddings." Forbes. (Sept. 18, 2011) http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/12/celebrity-media-weddings-biz-media-cz_lg_ts_0712celebweddings_slide.html?thisSpeed=undefined
- Grace Kelly Online. "Grace Kelly Wedding." (Sept. 11, 2011)http://www.gracekellyonline.com/wedding/
- Mayntz, Melissa. "Katie Holmes Engagement Ring." Lovetoknow Engagement Rings. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Katie_Holmes'_Engagement_Ring
- Melaniatrump.com. "Bio." (Sept. 18, 2011) http://www.melaniatrump.com/bio/
- O'Neill, Anne-Marie. "Some Enchanted Evening!" People. Dec. 11, 2000. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20133195,00.html
- Tauber, Michelle, Ann Marie Cruz and Michelle Tan. "A Wedding to Remember." People. Dec. 4, 2006. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20059746,00.html
- Tresniowski, Alex. "Lights! Camera! Love!" People. Dec. 22, 2003. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20148998,00.html
- Vena, Joceyn. "Heidi Montag Looked Like A 'Princess Bride.'" MTV. April 27, 2009. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1610084/beautyeditor-weighs-on-heidi-montags-wedding-look.jhtml
- Wedding Dresses. "The 50 Best Celebrity Wedding Dresses." 2011. (Sept. 11, 2011) http://www.weddingdresses.com/celebrity-wedding-dresses/