What's sadder than a candlelit evening spent wishing you'd worn something else? Well, lots of things, actually, but it's still an unfortunate spot to be in on a Valentine's date. So, a few tips to help you love what you end up in, no matter which way you go:
- Be yourself -- If it's not "you" on Feb. 13, it's not going to be you on Feb. 14. By all means, take risks -- fashion is all about it -- but make sure what you wear suits your overall style, lest you end up feeling like you're in a costume.
- Be subtle -- If you choose to don some Valentine-specific accents, be selective and err on the side of caution. If you're carrying a heart-shaped clutch, leave the heart-shaped earrings at home. Please.
- Be comfortable -- It can be tempting to throw comfort to the wind when dressing for a special night, but beware: Discomfort can ruin the mood. At the very least, make sure you've got room in your dress to enjoy a truffle or two and that you can walk in your shoes. You never know where the evening might take you (a romantic stroll, my love?).
- Be versatile -- If your date location is a surprise, wear something you can dress up or down and carry different shoe, accessory and makeup options along on the date.
Romantic night out or special night in, what you wear can make or break your date as much as where you go and whom you go with -- or not, but it can definitely make you happier with the pictures after the fact. Valentine's memories are forever. Just ask the greeting card.
For more information on Valentine's Day and holiday style, check out the links below.
- Valentine's Day Guide
- Lingerie Guide: Your Sexiest Look for Valentine's Day
- 5 Fashion Choices That Turn Men Off
- How to Accessorize for a Night Out
More Great Links
- Fashion Trends Archive. Vogue. (Feb. 4, 2012) http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/trends/archive
- Got a Valentine's Day date? Here's what to wear. Today Style. MSNBC. Feb. 14, 2007. (Jan. 30, 2012) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17117714/ns/today-style/t/got-valentines-day-date-heres-what-wear/#.TycHU_lWpm4
- You Have a Romantic Clothing Personality! The Chic Fashionista. (Jan. 30, 2012) http://www.thechicfashionista.com/romantic-clothing-personality.html
- Metz, Lauren. "Rachel Zoe Selects Her Valentine's Day Fashion Faves." Bravo TV. Feb. 8, 2011. (Jan. 30, 2012) http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/the-dish/rachel-zoe-selects-her-valentines-day-fashion-faves