Dressing for Valentine's Day doesn't have to entail wearing red and pink and hearts -- although it could, with an eye to minimalism. No, Valentine's Day style comes in many forms, and which suits you best depends on your style -- or at least on the style you decide to go with for this night.
Want to channel a romantic look? Lace, ruffles, girlie prints and flowing, bohemian styles work perfectly to create a romantic Valentine's look. To make it holiday-specific, throw in some red and pink accents, and maybe even a heart-shaped accessory for good measure. We would not at all object to a crystal-covered, heart-shaped clutch. Some ideas:
- Casual -- Jersey palazzos, lacey tank, cropped wrap cardigan, charm necklace, ballet flats
- Cocktail -- party dress, Mary Jane heels, lace gloves, fringed silk wrap
- Formal -- layered silk gown, satin elbow-length gloves, heart-shaped crystal drop earrings, lace-detail pumps
Valentine's Day does seem to cry out for romantic looks, but classic is always appropriate, as suited to Feb. 14 as to any other day. Accessories are the key with the understated look. Think Audrey Hepburn with a tiny, red velvet rose pinned in her hair. It says "Be my Valentine" quietly, in tailored, body-grazing cuts and one or two statement pieces selected for the day. A few options:
- Casual -- bootcut jeans, printed shell, shrunken blazer, leather boots
- Cocktail -- LBD, pointy-toe pumps, layered necklace, cashmere wrap
- Formal -- black column gown, silk wrap, statement cuff, strappy red heels
Of course, even if classic is your favorite style, you may be looking for something a little different for this particular date. Sexy is, for many women, synonymous with Valentine's Day. There's no better time to let your inner seductress out, and not just in your lingerie. Cleavage-baring, curve-hugging looks in sexy red or black, propped on sky-high heels or over-the-knee boots pair perfectly with candlelight. Some possibilities:
- Casual -- skinny jeans, low-cut wrap top, over-the-knee boots, fedora
- Cocktail -- strapless mini-dress, bold lips, platform heels, shoulder-duster earrings
- Formal -- slit-leg gown, strappy stilettos, cleavage-grazing pendant necklace
Whatever the style, you're going to want to make sure it still works for you when you're well into your date. Next, a few tips for loving your look in the long-run.