Knowing a few basic style tips about dressing for the office, casual occasions and evenings out goes a long way toward looking great in your 30s. Still, there are some dos and don'ts that each of us should keep in mind. Let's start with the don'ts.
- Don't buy clothes that do not fit.No matter what diet of the week you're trying, do not buy a size down in anticipation of losing those stubborn extra pounds.
- Don't skimp on the essentials.We all need things like raincoats, walking shoes, jeans and sunglasses. Be sure to invest wisely in these items that you'll wear over and over again.
- Don't look to the teenagers in your life for fashion tips. Some women think that by emulating high school or college girls, they'll automatically look younger. This is almost never the case. No matter how good you think Kim Cattrall looked standing beside Miley Cyrus in SatC2, young girls' fashions are not made for a grown woman's body.
Now, let's tackle the dos.
- Do expand your wardrobe beyond basic black and comfy stand-bys. It can be tricky avoiding all the fashion faux pas out there, but you also don't want to get stuck in a rut.
- Do make accessories your friend. By using jewelry, shoes, bags and other accessories, you can create a wide range of looks using only a few key items of clothing.
- Do invest in multipurpose pieces. You'll appreciate the versatility of items that can be worn in the office, but also dressed up for an evening out or dressed down for a Sunday brunch.
- Do invest in well-made, properly fitted undergarments. An ill-fitting bra or oversized pair of granny panties can ruin an otherwise polished look.
Finally, remember the best looks always seem effortless, not overdone. For more style tips, peruse the links on the following page.