When you're wearing less, every inch matters more. We say this because bathing suit styles can all look deceptively similar if you don't know what you're looking for, but choosing the right one can make a big difference in your overall appearance:
- Look for a style that isn't baggy on your frame, regardless of your weight. Covering up with lots of extra material just manages to emphasize what you're trying to conceal -- whether it's knobby knees or a large stomach.
- Stick with a swimsuit that has a flat front rather than a circling band of elastic. Some styles that include elastic at the waistband have elastic only around the back or at the side seams. This will deemphasize a spare tire and provide a more comfortable fit.
- Consider going a bit shorter. A shorter bathing suit might take a little getting used to, but has some advantages. Showing more body and less material elongates your silhouette and makes you look taller and slimmer. As a side benefit, you'll get a more even tan, too. While you're at it, go for straighter, cleaner lines. There'll be less material flapping around your legs to gape or shift when you sit.
- Choose styles with a defined fly area and parallel seaming. If you like leaving some things to the imagination, the added structure creates a modesty panel that won't cling as much or tend to cup when the suit is wet.
- Esquire. "The Seven Types of Swim Trunks for Summer 2009." (3/20/12). http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/best-swim-trunks-for-men-071709
- GQ. "How to Buy a Swimsuit: A GQ Primer." 6/09. (3/20/12). http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200906/swim-suit-bathing-shopping
- PRLOG. "Different Types of Men's Swimwear." 6/24/10. (3/20/12). http://www.prlog.org/10757760-different-types-of-mens-swimwear.html
- Speedo USA. "Product Technology Guide." (3/20/12). http://www.speedousa.com/men/swimwear.shtml
- Top Travel Tips. "Swimwear For Men -Buying Guide." (3/20/12). http://www.top-travel-tips.com/swimwear-for-men.html
- Top Travel Tips. "Tan Through Swimwear for the Perfect Tan." (3/20/12). http://www.top-travel-tips.com/tan-through-swimwear.html
- Video Jug. "How to Choose Men's Swimwear." (3/20/12). http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-choose-mens-swimwear
- Your Swimsuit Guide. "Mens Swimsuit." (3/20/12). http://www.yourswimsuitguide.com/mens-swimsuit.html
Squeezing into a tight pair of Spanx can make you look better, if not feel better. Learn about shapewear by reading this article at HowStuffWorks.