Gold Gothic and More
Gothic fashion isn't just about wearing black. It's also about employing subtle motifs that tell a story (often chilling or macabre), as well as making an outfit look spectacular. Marchesa did that with some marvelous gold pieces in her fall 2012 line. Georgina Chapman's intricately detailed gold and silver garments looked feminine, but they also sported skeletons and other morbid elements. The gothic influences were subtle but definitely in evidence. Think of a spider in a beautiful china teacup and you have the idea -- something small and grotesque where you don't expect it.
Marchesa wasn't the only designer to use gothic elements to add interest. Vera Wang showcased a spider web patterned fabric in some of her sheaths as well as jeweled chain mail in some of her eveningwear pieces.
- Bakshi, Triveni. "Gothic Chic Look Is a Trend." 9/09. (4/26/12). http://www.styleguru.com/entry/gothic-chic-look-is-a-trend/
- BBC. "Ageing in a Spectacular Youth Culture: continuity, change and community amongst older Goths." 6/2011. (4/26/12). http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0124nty
- Chilvers, Simon. "Autumn 2012: what are the fashion trends?" The Guardian. 3/6/12. (4/26/12). http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/gallery/2012/mar/06/autumn-2010-fashion-trends#/?picture=386986578&index=3
- D'Souza, Nandini. "The Best Looks from New York Fashion Week: Fall 2012." Harper's Bazaar. (4/26/12). http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-articles/new-york-fashion-week-fall-2012-looks-1?click=main_sr#slide-2
- Fashion's Hub. "Gothic Makeup Trends." 3/13/12. (4/26/12). http://fashionshub.blogspot.com/2012/03/gothic-makeup-trends.html
- Wilson, Cintra. "The Feminine Side of Goth." The New York Times. 8/12/08. (4/26/12). http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/fashion/14CRITIC.html
- YouTube. "Gothic clothing at The Gothic Shop January 2012." 1/21/12. (4/26/12). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4p3vxJ4baQ
Squeezing into a tight pair of Spanx can make you look better, if not feel better. Learn about shapewear by reading this article at HowStuffWorks.