But Don't Forget to Have Fun!
Well, we've certainly spent a lot of time giving you rules and lessons about mom style versus single style. However, this last tip might be the most important -- make it fun. If you just can't bring yourself to get rid of those purple suede knee-high boots that go great with that black mini-dress, then keep them! Just don't wear them to the school bake sale. Save them for a girls night out, or a date with your spouse.
Don't throw out all your "single girl" stuff. Keep a few things in the back of your closet -- pieces that make you feel happy or silly, pieces that bring back great memories, pieces that are trendy and hip. Even if you never wear them again, you'll be glad they're there for you.
Mom style doesn't mean sacrificing your personal style. It's just a matter of adjusting your style to a more appropriate level. Remember, a lifestyle change usually requires a fashion style change. You don't have to lose your sense of self simply because you're becoming a mom. Just adapt your style to a more kid- and mommy-friendly one. And with our tips and suggestions, soon enough the other moms will be coming to you for fashion advice.
- DeLeeuw, Vered. "Flattering Clothes for Any Body Shape." Everything Mom. 2010. (Dec. 5, 2010)http://www.everythingmom.com/style/by-vered-deleeuw.html
- "Fall Wardrobe Essentials for Mommy." BurbMom.com. Oct. 20, 2010. (Dec. 6, 2010)http://www.burbmom.net/fall-wardrobe-essentials-for-mommy/
- Gerlock, Jennifer. "Top 5 Mom Style Don'ts." SunSentinel.com. May 3, 2010. (Dec. 5, 2010)http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-03/features/moms-stylemct--lifestyle-700-words-20100503_1_mom-jeans-personal-style-sweats
- Haver, Sharon. "Put An End to Frumpy Mom Jeans." Focus on Style. May 2, 2006. (Dec. 5, 2010)http://www.focusonstyle.com/In-Focus/Trends-Style/ageappropriatejeans
- Slater, Audrey. "Sexy Mom Style." Redbook. 2010. (Dec. 5, 2010)http://www.redbookmag.com/beauty-fashion/tips-advice/signature-style
Squeezing into a tight pair of Spanx can make you look better, if not feel better. Learn about shapewear by reading this article at HowStuffWorks.