Heavy-duty concealers come in a number of forms -- most of them are thick cream foundations, although there are some liquid products out there now. Regardless of the exact formulation of the makeup, the basic rules are always the same. You should always clean and moisturize your face before applying the concealer, and you shouldn't blend the product beyond the birthmark. Stay within its lines to avoid creating discolored patches on the surrounding areas of skin. Depending on the product, you can apply and blend with a brush or your fingers, and setting with powder is always a good idea.
Hitting upon exactly the right shade can be a major stumbling block -- even though you'll be able to find plenty of concealers online, you shouldn't select your shade on the computer. If it's at all possible, find a brick-and-mortar retailer where you can actually test them out yourself and get a lesson on application. But before you start out, here are a few guidelines for getting a good color match.
- If you have a reddish-purple port-wine birthmark, you might want to try a concealer with a greenish tint, which offsets the redness. Another option is going one shade lighter than your skin tone.
- If your birthmark is very dark, try a yellowish concealer or one that's two shades lighter than your skin.
- If it's light pink, just match your skin tone.
- Yellow tints are also good for bluish and purplish birthmarks.
These are just starting-off tips, but hopefully with this background information you'll be able to narrow down your search and find the perfect match!
For more information on makeup, take a look at the links below.
- Dermablend. "Birthmarks." (May 10, 2012) http://www.dermablend.com/skinconditions/birthmarks.aspx
- Monroe, Valerie. "The Best Way to Cover Up Birthmarks." Oprah.com, February 2008. (May 8, 2012) http://www.oprah.com/style/The-Best-Way-to-Cover-Up-and-Conceal-Birthmarks
- Skin Care Guide. "5 Tips for Concealing Your Birthmarks." (May 8, 2012) http://www.skincareguide.com/article/5-tips-for-concealing-your-birthmarks.html
- Vibrant Beauty. "How to Find the Perfect Birthmark Concealer." (May 10, 2012) http://www.vibrantbeautynetwork.com/518/birthmark-concealer/
- Web MD. "Birthmarks: Treatment Overview." January 2011. (May 8, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/birthmarks-treatment-overview