So you have some foundation that seems to match your skin tone reasonably well but how should you apply it? Brush, swipe or sponge? The rule of thumb for liquid or cream foundation is -- sponge or fingers for sheer coverage, brush for heavier coverage.
Speaking of heavy coverage, foundation doesn't have to be spackled over your entire face to be effective. Sometimes all you need is some strategically placed concealer and a few dabs of foundation in problem areas. If you're going for a full-face application, start in the middle of your cheeks and forehead and blend outward. Never stop at the jaw line -- that will give you the dreaded makeup mask. Apply the foundation all the way onto your neck, using a damp sponge or your fingers to clean up any unevenness.
Finally, set your foundation with powder. If you have dry skin, dab some loose powder onto your T-zone only. Those with normal to oily skin can be more liberal with the powder, but if you tend to be oily, pressed powder will do more to control that shine.
There, you're done! Check out the next page for more information on how to complete your perfectly made-up face.
More Great Links
- Allure.com. "10 Beauty Mistakes that Add 10 Years." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.allure.com/magazine/2010/04/aging_beauty_mistakes#slide=1
- Bellasugar.com. "Five Ways to Prevent Caked-On Foundation." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Prevent-Cakey-Foundation-8244684
- Bellasugar.com. "How to Stop Concealer From Creasing and Caking." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Prevent-Concealer-From-Creasing-Caking-8254701
- Bobbi Brown. "The Secret to Perfect Skin." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/learn/perfect_skin.tmpl
- Bobbi Brown. "Covering Circles and Blemishes." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/learn/covering_circles_blemishes.tmpl
- Bobbi Brown. "Choosing Your Ideal Shade and Formula." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/learn/perfect_match.tmpl
- Carmindy. "Carmindy's Makeup Tips." (Accessed June 17, 2010) https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/style/carmindy-makeup-tips.htm
- Cover Girl. "Concealer 101." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/face-makeup-tips/concealer-101-tips/
- Cover Girl. "How to Apply Foundation." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/face-makeup-tips/how-to-apply-foundation/
- Cover Girl. "Liquid vs. Powder." (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/face-makeup-tips/liquid-vs-powder-makeup/
- Kolich, Heather. "10 Common Makeup Mishaps." (Accessed June 17, 2010) https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/skin-and-makeup/10-common-makeup-mishaps.htm
- Quinn, Erin. "How to Wear Winter Makeup." (Accessed June 17, 2010) Allure.com. http://www.allure.com/howtos/2009/11/wear_winter_makeup
- Saint Louis, Catherine. "Tips for Applying Foundation." New York Times, June 9, 2010. (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/fashion/10SkinSide.html?scp=5&sq=makeup%20foundation&st=cse
- Saint Louis, Catherine. "Makeup to Help Flaws Disappear." New York Times, June 9, 2010. (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/fashion/10Skin.html?scp=3&sq=makeup%20foundation&st=cse
- TotalBeauty.com. "Makeup Primer: Worth the Extra Step?" (Accessed June 17, 2010) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/flash/c_primer