If you're looking for a dramatic, high-impact look that screams "evening," a smoky eye is the way to go. Creating a smoky eye isn't all that difficult, even though there's a lot of shadow involved -- but you should stick with a more neutral palette to avoid color overload. There's also a fine line between shimmer and glitter: A slight sparkle is great, but too much and you're in showgirl territory.
- Beautylish. "Evening Makeup Inspiration." July 20, 2011. (April 28, 2012) http://www.beautylish.com/a/vpvmg/evening-makeup
- Guglielmetti, Petra. "12 New Evening Makeup Ideas." December 2009. (April 28, 2012) http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2009/12/12-new-evening-makeup-ideas#slide=1
- Marie Claire. "Get the Celebrity Look: Smoky Eyes." Sept. 10, 2011. (April 28, 2012) http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/trends/smoky-eyes
- O Magazine. "O's Step-by-Step Guide to Dramatic Evening Eyes." December 2009. (April 28, 2012) http://www.oprah.com/style/How-to-Apply-Evening-Eye-Makeup-Makeup-Makeover
- Way, Gina. "5 Updated Evening Makeup Looks." Real Simple. (April 28, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/makeup/5-updated-evening-makeup-looks-10000001690368/index.html
When was the last time you cleaned out your cosmetics? HowStuffWorks talked to an LA-based makeup artist for advice on how often we need to toss it.