Lipstick can be an affordable luxury, even if you opt for designer shades that cost more than $40 a pop. In general, splurge-worthy lipsticks contain higher-quality ingredients that lend a creamier finish.
Set your sights on a couple of signature shades you can wear from season to season. Apply each "as is," layer them for a custom color or top them with an inexpensive gloss to lend your lips a new hue. To play up your lips by making them appear fuller, try a light shade of lipstick with a dot of clear lip gloss applied right under the bow of your top lip and in the center of your bottom lip [source: Real Simple].
- Ammah-Tagoe, Aku. "The Beauty Breakdown." The Daily Beast. (Aug. 21, 2012) http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/features/2010/the-beauty-breakdown.html
- Carrillo, Sarah. "16 Best Brow Enhancing Beauty Products." (Aug. 21, 2012) Total Beauty. http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/best-brow-enhancers
- Karimi, Sabah. "Blush and Bronzer Combos." (Aug. 21, 2012) Diva Village. http://www.divavillage.com/article.php?id=39866
- Real Simple. "Splurge or Save? The Smartest Beauty Buys." (Aug. 21, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/skincare/splurge-save-smartest-beauty-buys-10000001606029/page8.html
- Yi, Sharon. "10 Secrets I Learned at Makeup Artist School." Total Beauty. (Aug. 21, 2012) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/makeup-school
When was the last time you cleaned out your cosmetics? HowStuffWorks talked to an LA-based makeup artist for advice on how often we need to toss it.