If you're going to the trouble of applying mascara, you're likely devoted enough to your lashes to wiggle the wand a little. What? It's really not much trouble at all?
Exactly. It's unclear exactly why a vibrating wand might make eyelashes look thicker and longer than a manual one, but whatever benefit there might be, it likely doesn't balance out the risk of poking yourself repeatedly in the eye with a stiff-bristled brush. Unconvinced? Try applying your mascara while sitting on a washing machine.
And we're skeptical about the benefit: The battery-powered wand is moving faster than a regular one, sure; but for most of us that means less control.
Mascara, like so many makeup essentials, is a good thing that doesn't need a high-tech upgrade. Sometimes, it's the products and techniques we're most comfortable with that help us look our best, not the newest, most expensive trend.
If that placenta mask guarantees we'll look like J.Lo in our 40s, though, bring it on.
For more information on cosmetics and beauty trends, check out the links below.
More Great Links
- "6 Products with SPF That Do Nothing to Protect You." Yahoo! Shine. Aug. 21, 2011. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/6-products-with-spf-that-do-nothing-to-protect-you-2529839.html
- "7 Lies on Your Makeup Labels." Total Beauty. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/makeup-labels-ingredients
- Boyles, Salynn. "High-SPF Sunscreens: Are They Better?" WebMD. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/high-spf-sunscreens-are-they-better
- Brain, Marshall. "DIY – How to make your own lip plumper." HowStuffWorks. April 30, 2009. (Aug. 27, 2012) https://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/04/30/diy-make-your-own-lip-plumper/
- "Makeup That Does More." Good Housekeeping. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/makeup/anti-aging-makeup
- Stern, Joanna. "Vibrating Mascara Wand Can't Do You or Your Makeup Well." Gizmodo. Sept. 2, 2009. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://gizmodo.com/5350743/vibrating-mascara-wand-cant-do-you-or-your-makeup-well
When was the last time you cleaned out your cosmetics? HowStuffWorks talked to an LA-based makeup artist for advice on how often we need to toss it.