Stick to a Single Color Family
Does trying to coordinate your makeup every morning leave you feeling overwhelmed? Keep things simple by choosing all of your makeup from the same color family. Of course, that doesn't mean using the exact same shade on lips, eyes and cheeks. Instead, choose variations of the same shade to highlight different features.
Play up blue eyes with a rich copper eye shadow, then add peach blush and orange-red lips. Brown-eyed girls can start with violet eye shadow, brush purple-pink blush onto the cheeks, then choose a sheer lip gloss with just a hint of plum or purple to finish off the look. Make green eyes pop with garnet eye shadow, then add rosy blush and a neutral red-brown lipstick. If you're not used to wearing much makeup and want to take things slow, you can't go wrong choosing neutral shades in the pink and brown color families.
- Cosmopolitan. "Matching Lip Color to an Outfit." (June 6, 2012) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/how-to/Matching-Lip-Color-to-an-Outfit
- Davis, Dawn. "How to (Successfully) Match Your Makeup to Your Outfit" Cosmopolitan. Nov. 28, 2011. (June 6, 2012) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/beauty-blog/matching-makeup-to-clothes-112811
- Elle Canada. "The Best Makeup Colours for Your Skin Tone." 2007. (June 6, 2012) http://www.ellecanada.com/beauty/the-best-makeup-colours-for-your-skin-tone/a/24447
- Glamour. "The Best Red Lipstick for Your Skintone." (June 6, 2012) http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2009/08/the-best-red-lipstick-for-your-skintone#slide=4
- InStyle. "Stars in Bright Makeup." (June 6, 2012) http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20574644_20570479_21119860,00.html
- Lacey, Miriam. "3 Tips for Coordinating Your Makeup and Clothing." Bella Sugar. Feb. 9, 2011. (June 6, 2012) http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Match-Your-Makeup-Your-Clothing-Without-Looking-Silly-2011-02-09-150258-13848359
- MSNBC. "The Best Red Lip Makeup for Your Skin Tone." January 6, 2012. (June 6, 2012) http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/06/9953852-the-best-red-lip-makeup-for-your-skin-tone?lite
- Nadine, Amy. "Going Undercover." The Beauty Department. (June 6, 2012) http://thebeautydepartment.com/2011/08/going-undercover/
- Panych, Sophia. "The 7 Most Flattering New Makeup Colors for Spring." Allure. 2012. (June 18, 2012) http://www.allure.com/makeup-looks/2012/best-new-spring-colors#slide=1
- University of Kentucky College of Agriculture. "Color is Key." (June 18, 2012) http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/fcs2/fcs2844/fcs2844.pdf
- Yi, Sharon. "6 Secrets I Learned at Makeup Artist School." Jan. 12, 2012. (June 6, 2012) http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/12/10098289-6-secrets-i-learned-at-makeup-artist-school?lite
When was the last time you cleaned out your cosmetics? HowStuffWorks talked to an LA-based makeup artist for advice on how often we need to toss it.