Step 1: Gathering Your Supplies
The smoky eye does have several components, but you don't need to go out and spend 100 bucks. You may want to start with the most basic supplies to make sure you like the look before building up your smoky-eye kit (pre-bundled kits are available for purchase, too, if you're not a mix and match kind of shopper).
At the minimum, you'll need:
- Eye-makeup primer (undereye concealer works fine, too)
- Eyeliner, pencil-type preferred, in dark gray or black
- Eye shadows in four tones: light gray, medium gray, dark gray, sheer neutral
- Applicators (the kind that comes with shadows is fine)
- Black mascara
- Eye-makeup smudger (sponge or cotton swab)
- Brushes: large, medium and crease
- Shimmer powder
Now that you've got what you need, let's start building the smoky eye.