Feeling great in a bathing suit may not be in your repertoire -- but really, it could be. Retro looks tend to be more modest than modern ones, and ultimately it all comes down to knowing what suits you, so to speak.
Some retro styles are easier to wear than others. Consider these tips:
- If your thighs are lean, a low-cut leg will draw attention to that. You can wear practically anything from these decades (and beyond).
- If your thighs are bigger than you like, draw attention away from them -- something skirted can provide more coverage, and a "wow" factor on top will draw the eye up.
- If you're soft in the middle, choose a one-piece or something with a tummy panel. You'll find a fair number of retro swimsuits with built-in shapers.
- If your abs are your best feature, go with a true bikini that bares the entire midsection.
- For overall shaping, a "corset-style" maillot can work wonders, pulling you in, pushing you out, and holding everything up.
With this in mind, find the decade that works for you …