Spring Fashion Trends and Colors
This year, spring fashion is as colorful as the season itself. Styles are feminine and pretty, and lacy looks are everywhere. So put away your drab wools and corduroy, and try on a few fun new pieces to wake up your wardrobe. Here are some trends to look for in the stores:
- Bright colors. Color is big and bright! Think vivid shades of tangerine, shocking pink, electric blue. Neon shades are especially fun, and you can find wearable options in everything from silk blouses and tanks to dresses, skirts and pants. Wear them together in complementary colors for maximum impact.
- Sporty couture. Active lifestyles are influencing the fashion scene, making it chic to mix active wear like sport tops and workout-inspired pants with structured jackets. Think sweatshirt shapes made from cashmere or luxurious cotton, and drawstring skirts. Gucci walked the look down the runway, but athletic-inspired casual wear is available from a number of design partnerships, including Stella McCartney for Adidas and Heidi Klum for New Balance. Colorful athletic-inspired footwear makes hoofing around town casual and comfortable.
- Colored pants. After seasons of basic black and blue denim, wake up your wardrobe with some lemon yellow or soft red jeans. Printed pants, with florals or intricate patterns, will also make a splash. Pair your new pants with a neutral top or something in the same color tone, and slip into neutral shoes.
- Graphic prints. Make a statement in a dress, top or skirt printed with geometrics shapes or oversized florals. If you're wearing a bold piece, keep other clothing and accessories a bit understated to keep things the look from being overwhelming.
- Color blocking. Bold, bright pieces incorporating the Mondrian look are everywhere. You can also create your own looks: pair a green skirt with a yellow sweater or red jeans with a purple T-shirt. Neutral or black accessories work best with blocks of colored clothing.
- Sassy shorts. Short shorts are in, so show a little leg. Pair with a jacket or cardigan sweater for a classy look that will take you from running errands to dining out. Keep the occasion in mind when choosing from a gorgeous array of fabrics, including blue or colored denim, polished cottons, flowy silks, textured tweeds, and dressy metallics.
- Charming skirts. Pencil shapes are everywhere, as well as full flirty skirts or maxi options. Peplum skirts -- with a short flared ruffle that sits at the natural waist -- add a touch of glamour to your wardrobe, and pleats are also a hot trend. When choosing a skirt, let your legs, shape, and destination be your guide.
Think pretty, feminine, and fun, and bring a little whimsy into your wardrobe this spring!