Your tween may secretly applaud your move to remain a chic sophisticate, as evidenced by the low-rise jeans you're wearing around town. But there's sure to be trouble in store. Low-rise (as in really low) jeans may translate into a continual tug to keep your jeans northward after every bend or stoop. Plus, a low-rise style can reveal a lot about your "personality," thanks to gaping waistbands. And this is something no tween wants to see.
The trick is to adapt a current style of jeans to your body type and personal style. You can wear boot-cut, mid-rise jeans with great aplomb, knowing you're in style but not baring your, ahem, "soul." This way, you look relevant -- not ridiculous. It's all part of modeling ageless fashion sense to your tween.
- Battaglia, Emily. "Mom Jeans, Visible Panty Lines and 8 Other Fashion Disasters." July 5, 2008. (Jan. 7, 2010) LifeScript.com.http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Style/Your-Look/Mom_Jeans_Visible_Panty_Lines_and_8_Other_Fashion_Disasters.aspx
- Brown Shoe Co. "History of Brown Shoe." (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.brownshoe.com/history/
- Fischer, Rachel. "Top 10 Items You're Too Old to Wear." Jan. 19, 2010. (Jan. 7, 2011) LifeScript.com.http://www.lifescript.com/Body/Style/Your- /Look/Top_10_Items_Youre_Too_Old_to_Wear.aspx
- Haver, Sharon. "Put an End to Frumpy Mom Jeans." (Jan. 8. 2011) FocusOnStyle.com. http://www.focusonstyle.com/In-Focus/Trends-Style/ageappropriatejeans
- MSNBC. "Dress Your Age: Spring Trends for Moms, Kids." May 11, 2009. (Jan. 7, 2011)http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30685918/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/
- Tyler, JoJami. "My First Fall Purchase: The Ruffle White Blouse." (Jan. 8, 2011) FabulousAfter40.com.http://www.fabulousafter40.com/tag/ruffle-blouse/
- Weiss, Shari. "Conan O'Brien Struts his Stuff in a Pair of Jeggings: 'I'm Never Taking Them Off.'" Dec. 3, 2010. (Jan. 7, 2011). New York Daily News.http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_conan_obrien_loves_his_jeggings_im_never_taking_them_off.html
- Wilson, Cintra. "You Just Can't Kill It." Sept. 17, 2008. (Jan. 8, 2011). The New York Times.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/fashion/18GOTH.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the roots of corduroy fabric, how to care for it and how it has evolved.