Hammer pants are a fashion trend so truly bizarre that we're sure we imagined them. Did people (men, no less!) really walk around in the early '90s in baggy pants with enormous, draped crotches that sagged to the knees? Surely that must have been a bad dream. But then we'll come across the "U Can't Touch This" video on VH-1 Classics or something and realize that yes, it did really happen -- and they're just as heinous as we remembered.
We did hear a rumor that Hammer pants were making a high-fashion comeback as "harem pants" in 2009, but we ignored it in the hopes that it wasn't really true. Because let's get one thing straight: It's never Hammer time.
For more dreadful fashion blunders, break it down below.
- Anderson, Diane. "When Crocs Attack, an Ugly Shoe Tale." Nov. 3, 2006. (Accessed Aug. 13. 2010) http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/02/magazines/business2/crocs_whatworks.biz2/
- Boston.com. "Fashion Trends That Drive You Crazy." (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010) http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashion/gallery/0814_badfashiontrends/
- Brundige, Wendy. "Hammer Pants Hit the Runways." June 6, 2009. (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/story?id=7769216&page=1
- CBSNews.com. "Corset Piercing Pictures." (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010) http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10004165-4.html
- Haberman Clyde. "Put This on a Billboard: Droopy Pants Can Kill." April 1, 2010. (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010). http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/nyregion/02nyc.html
- Harrell, Wendy. "The 10 Worst Fashion Trends of the Decade." Dec. 23, 2009. (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010) http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/12/the_10_worst_fashion_trends_of.php
- Odell, Amy. "The Shoes at Alexander McQueen Were Only 10 Inches High." Nov. 7, 2009. (Accessed Aug. 13, 2010) http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/10/the_shoes_at_alexander_mcqueen.html
HowStuffWorks looks at the roots of corduroy fabric, how to care for it and how it has evolved.