Lady Gaga isn't just about music, and she isn't just about fashion. She's about the total image. She says on her Haus of Gaga Web site, "When I'm writing music, I'm thinking about the clothes I want to wear on stage. It's all about everything altogether -- performance art, pop performance art, fashion. For me, it's everything coming together and being a real story that will bring back the super-fan."
It isn't enough that she's built a music brand and a brand of uninhibited, avant-garde, risk-taking fashions. Now, Gaga wants to teach. She's applied for an adjunct professor position at Manhattan's prestigious Parson's School of Design. A college dropout herself, she'd like to teach fashion design students for a semester or two after her Monster Ball Tour ends.
- "Lady Gaga: 18 Outrageous Outfits." Entertainment Weekly. (March 11, 2011) http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20309550_20309885,00.html#20635413
- Haus of Gaga. "The 'Haus of Gaga.'" (March 20, 2011) http://www.haus-of-gaga.com/haus-of-gaga
- Luscombe, Belinda. "1.Lady Gaga." Top 10 Fashion Statements. The Top 10 of Everything 2010. Time: Dec. 9, 2010. (March 19, 2011) http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2035319_2034464,00.html
- Polaroid. "Polaroid and Lada Gaga Announce Grey Label." Jan. 6, 2011. (March 20, 2011) http://www.polaroid.com/en/press/2011/1/6/polaroid-and-lady-gaga-announce-grey-label
- Style Crunch. "Lady Gaga, Fashion Professor? Gaga Applies to Teach Style Classes at Parsons School of Design." Dec. 13, 2010. (March 19, 2011) http://style.popcrunch.com/lady-gaga-fashion-professor-gaga-applies-to-teach-style-classes-at-parsons-school-of-design/
- Vena, Jocelyn. "Lady Gaga Meat Dress Designer Tells How to Re-create His VMA Look." MTV News Top Stories. Sept. 16, 2010. (March 19, 2011) http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1647978/lady-gaga-meat-dress-designer-tells-how-recreate-his-vma-look.jhtml
- Warrington, Ruby. "Lady Gaga: ready for her close-up." The Sunday Times. Feb. 22, 2009. (March 19, 2011) http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article5746827.ece
Where do those red carpet dresses go after their big debuts? HowStuffWorks follows the trail.