Although many designers are knocking down the door of Clarence House for the chance to dress Kate Middleton, the down-to-earth Duchess of Cambridge has the reputation for staying true to her own sense of style, often choosing affordable clothing and accessories that she would've worn in her past life as a commoner. Middleton also has the reputation of collaborating with clothing designers to achieve a desired look. It's reported that she worked very closely with Sarah Burton to design her wedding gown, and even applied her own makeup the day of the royal wedding so that she would look natural. Unlike many royals before her, Middleton has refused the help of professional stylists in the past and opted to choose outfits on her own instead. The duchess has a knack for selecting garments that are comfortable, flattering and often glamorous -- all reflective of a unique sense of style that Kate Middleton can call her own.
To learn more about Kate Middleton's royal romance, check out the links below.
- 5 Prince William Wedding Rumors
- 10 Things to Know About Kate Middleton
- 10 Royal Wedding Dresses to Inspire Your Wedding Day Look
- 10 Tips to Get a Princess-worthy Dress on a Budget
- 10 Wacky Pieces of Royal Wedding Memorabilia
- 10 Ways to Get Princess-worthy Hair on a Budget
- How did Kate Middleton meet Prince William?
- Dear William and Kate: 10 Things We Hope You Include in Your Wedding
- Fit for a Princess's Finger
- How can I marry prince charming?
- Kate, Fashion Icon: Kate Middleton's Best and Worst Looks
- Styling Kate for Her Wedding Day
- Who pays for a royal wedding -- and how much does it cost?
- What's a royal honeymoon like?
- Abraham, Tamara. "So THAT'S how she manages without a stylist! Kate 'using personal shopper to help with wardrobe for U.S. and Canada tour'." Daily Mail. June 28, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2007484/Kate-Middleton-using-personal-shopper-US-Canada-tour-wardrobe.html
- Apatoff, Alex. "How Does Duchess Catherine's Train Compare to Princess Diana's?" People. April 30, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20485968,00.html
- Apatoff, Alex. "Kate Middleton Remixes her Wardrobe!" People. Aug. 12, 2011. (March 15, 2012) http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20395222_20517981_21000270,00.html
- Daily Beast, the. "Head for Fashion: Kate Middleton Is 'Hat Person of the Year'." March 15, 2012. http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/01/31/head-for-fashion-kate-middleton-is-hat-person-of-the-year-photos.html
- Daily Mail. "The making of a princess: How Kate Middleton's style has evolved." Oct. 1, 2009. (March 13, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1217312/The-making-princess-How-Kate-Middletons-style-evolved.html
- Derschowitz, Jessica. "Kate Middleton's wedding dress by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen." CBS News. April 29, 2011. (March 14, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-32917_162-20058526-10391716.html
- English, Rebecca. "Kate joins the royal recyclers: Duchess gives favourite coat an extra outing." Daily Mail. June 13, 2011. (March 12, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2002723/Duchess-Cambridge-Kate-Middleton-gives-favourite-coat-extra-outing.html
- Fleming, Kirsten. "The pauper's princess: Style experts say Kate's the perfect role model as royal recessionista." New York Post. May 27, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/the_pauper_princess_rfiaz4yU7LIURcFv6aMOEK
- Kelly, Cara. "Kate Middleton's birthday: Lessons we've learned from her royal style." The Washington Post. Jan. 9, 2012. (March 13, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/royal-wedding-watch/post/kate-middletons-birthday-lessons-weve-learned-from-her-royal-style/2012/01/09/gIQAlwT4lP_blog.html
- Kelly, Cara. "Will lands on water, Kate masters outfit change." The Washington Post. July 5, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/royal-wedding-watch/post/will-lands-on-water-kate-masters-outfit-change-photos/2011/07/05/gHQAQSQUzH_blog.html
- Misener, Jessica. "Reiss Sees Profits Double In 2011, Thanks (Probably) To Kate Middleton." The Huffington Post. Dec. 29, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/reiss-kate-middleton-2011_n_1174227.html
- Moss, Hilary. "Sarah Burton: Kate Middleton's Wedding Reception Dress Designer, Too." The Huffington Post. April 29, 2011. (March 15, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/sarah-burton-kate-middleton-wedding-dress-reception_n_855709.html
- Odell, Amy. "Kate and Pippa Middleton Expected to Cause a Sheer Hosiery Trend in the U.S." New York Magazine. July 25, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/07/kate_and_pippa_middleton_expec.html
- Parade. "Kate Middleton's Style Evolution." (March 13, 2012) http://www.parade.com/celebrity/slideshows/style/kate-middleton.html
- Paxman, Lauren. "How Kate's style has influenced everyone's tastes (but her wedding dress hasn't made much of a splash)." Daily Mail. Oct. 19, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2050435/Kate-Middleton-style-influenced-fashion-royal-wedding-dress-hasnt.html
- Reyburn, Scott. "Kate Middleton's See-Through Dress Sells for $125,890 at Auction." Bloomberg. March 17, 2011. (March 15, 2012) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-17/kate-middleton-s-see-through-dress-sells-for-125-890-at-auction-in-london.html
- US Weekly. "Inside Kate Middleton's Amazing Perks as a Future Royal." Nov. 19, 2010. (March 15, 2012) http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/inside-kate-middletons-amazing-perks-as-a-future-royal-20101911
- Wilson, MacKenzie. "Royal Roundup: Princess Beatrice's Hat Earns $130,000 For Charity." BBC America. May 23, 2011. (March 13, 2012) http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/05/royal-roundup-princess-beatrices-hat-earns-130000-for-charity/
Where do those red carpet dresses go after their big debuts? HowStuffWorks follows the trail.