Do Have a Close Friend Whose Opinion You Trust
Or, to put it another way, don't underestimate the importance of hanging on to at least one trusted friend who tells you the truth about how you look...no matter how rich and famous you get.
We've already expressed our doubts about the Rambo headband with the fur vest. (Trust us on this: it's not a good look for anyone.) While we're all about self-expression, sometimes there's no substitute for a 360-degree mirror and a quizzical look or a few loud guffaws from a true friend.
Even Kanye gets it wrong sometimes, as when he showed up for the 2006 Grammy Awards wearing a comically oversized white jacket over a red disco style shirt, which he left unbuttoned to the navel. Black leather gloves, a gold medallion and a heavy gold bracelet only added to the costume-like vibe, and even a sharp pair of aviators couldn't rescue the look. Was the getup intended as a joke or some sort of statement? We'll never know. But if you choose to copy this particular Kanye ensemble, you might want to call a friend before you leave the house.
More Great Links
- Animotion. "Obsession." 1985. (March 31, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIs5StN8J-0
- The Fashion Bomb Blog. "First Look: Kanye West Fall 2012." March 6, 2012. (March 26, 2012) http://fashionbombdaily.com/2012/03/06/first-look-kanye-west-fall-2012/
- Fashion Bomb Daily. "Best of 2010: Most Fashionable Man." Dec. 21, 2010. (April 2, 2012) http://fashionbombdaily.com/2010/12/21/best-of-2010-most-fashionable-man/
- Goldwert, Lindsay. "Kanye West bans fashion critics from previewing his Paris Fashion Week collection."
- Huffington Post. "Kanye West Fashion Show Debuts During Paris Fashion Week." Oct. 10, 2011. (March 26, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/01/kanye-west-presents-his-f_n_990535.html
- Krishnamurthy, Sowmya. "Big Sean Interview." AskMen. (March 26, 2012) http://www.askmen.com/fashion/interview_500/561_big-sean-interview.html
- Macia, Peter. "Fader 58: Kanye West Cover Story and Interview." Fader.com. Nov. 25, 2008. (March 31, 2012) http://www.thefader.com/2008/11/25/fader-58-kanye-west-cover-story-and-interview/
- Nika, Colleen. "Kanye West's Second Fashion Show: Upgrade!" RollingStone.com. March 7, 2012. (March 31, 2012) http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/thread-count/kanye-wests-second-fashion-show-upgrade-20120307
- Nguyen, Long. "Kanye West Spring 2012. Our Review of Kanye's Debut Collection." Fashionista.com. Oct. 2, 2011. (March 31, 2012) http://fashionista.com/2011/10/kanye-west-spring-2012-our-review-of-kanyes-debut-collection/
- Odell, Amy. Kanye West's Pastelle Line Shall Never Grace the Bodies of the General Public." NYTimes.com. Oct. 13, 2009. (March 31, 2012) http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/10/kanye_wests_pastelle_line_shal.html
- Paine, Kelsey. "Kanye West Debuts Fashion Line Dw in Paris!" GlobalGrind.com. Oct. 1, 2011. (March 31, 2012) http://globalgrind.com/node/817252
- People.com. "Shiloh Jolie-Pitt Channels Kanye West." July 22, 2011. (March 31, 2012) http://celebritybabies.people.com/2011/07/22/shiloh-jolie-pitt-wears-shutter-shades-like-kanye-west/
- Rap-Up. "Kanye West, Rita Ora Step Out in Style at Mark Fast Dinner." February 2012. (March 31, 2012) http://www.rap-up.com/2012/02/07/kanye-west-rita-ora-step-out-in-style-at-mark-fast-dinner/
- Rolling Stone. "Kanye West Bans Critics from His Paris Fashion Show." March 8, 2012. (April 2, 2012) http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kanye-west-bans-critics-from-his-paris-fashion-show-20120308
- Simple Minds. "Glittering Prize." 1982. (March 31, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzmouHpp2k
- West, Kanye. "Stronger." Roc-A-Fella Records. 2007. (March 31, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g
- Wilson, Eric. "Kanye West, Designer (Yawn)." New York Times. Oct. 5, 2011. (March 26, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/fashion/kanye-west-designer-yawn.html
- Wonderwall. "2011 Grammy Fashion Lessons." (March 26, 2012) http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/2011-grammy-fashion-lessons-11312.gallery#!wallState=0__%2Fmusic%2F2011-grammy-fashion-lessons-11312.gallery%3FphotoId%3D46086
- Wonderwall. "Kanye West." (March 26, 2012) http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/kanye-west-325.celebrity
Where do those red carpet dresses go after their big debuts? HowStuffWorks follows the trail.