Boots have already on our style list, but what other kicks will classmates show off in 2012?
- Brightly colored sneakers may have you reaching for your sunglasses to cut down on the glare! Pair neon green or yellow high tops with your favorite pair of jeans and a casual cotton Tor hoodie.
- Ballet flats are no longer just for arabesques; this fashion staple has been around for a while but has some new twists this year. Try bright patent leather in a bold red or blue to add excitement to a casual outfit or extra flare to a dressier look. Or, go jungle fever with an animal print on your prima ballerina flats. It's a stylish but understated way to embrace the prints craze (see Tip #8).
- For those who want to bare a little more, colorful sandals make a splash in 2012. Trendy pastels like pale aqua, light yellow and rose will be in style, but the recurring fashion theme of bright, bold colors for 2012 will show in sandal wear as well. Sandals will shine with metallics, gold and silver sheens -- and don't be surprised if you see extra accents like lacing, rivets, buckles and braids.
- Akowuah, Barbara. "NYC fashion and trends 2012." Examiner.com. Dec. 31, 2011. (Jan. 3, 2012). http://www.examiner.com/fashion-trends-in-new-york/nyc-fashion-and-trends-2012
- Alcala, Natalie. "The Rise of Sleepwear as Outerwear." August 9, 2011. (Jan. 9, 2012). http://www.blackbookmag.com/fashioneer-1.110/the-rise-of-sleepwear-as-outerwear-1.39738
- Duan, Noel. "Fall 2011 Trends: Bright Separate." Teen Vogue.com Jan. 2012. (Jan. 5, 2012). http://www.teenvogue.com/style/trend/trendspotting/fall-runway-celebrity-trend-2011/bright-separates#intro
- Elle magazine. Jan. 2012.
- Fashion Trends. "Teen Clothing Autumn 2011-201 Fashion Trends." (Jan. 4, 2012). http://www.defashiontrends.com/teen-clothing-autumnwinter-2011-2012-fashion-trends.html
- Freedictionary.com "Peplum." (Jan. 10, 2012). http://www.thefreedictionary.com/peplum
- Glentzer, Molly. "Pajama jeans: Fashion problem or solution?" The Houston Chronicle. Feb. 7, 2011. (Jan. 9, 2012). http://www.chron.com/life/article/Pajama-jeans-Fashion-problem-or-solution-1682416.php
- GossipyGirlz. "2011/2012 Winter Teen Fashion Trends." (Jan. 6, 2012). http://gossipygirlz.com/2011-fall-2012-winter-teen-fashion-trends-726
- GossipyGirlz . "2011 and 2012 Winter Fall Boot Trends -- Thigh High Boots, Bold Colors and Lace Up Styles." (Jan. 6,2012). http://gossipygirlz.com/2011-fall-boot-trends-thigh-high-boots-bold-colors-and-lace-up-styles-246
- In Style magazine. Jan. 2012.
- Kae, Stella. "Top 6 Basic Wardrobe Pieces for Teens." About.com Teen Fashion. (Jan. 6, 2012). http://teenfashion.about.com/od/teenstylebasics/tp/6wardrobebasics.htm
- Lewis, Casey. "Celebrity fashion trend: black lace." Teen Vogue.com. Jan. 2012. (Jan. 5, 2012). http://www.teenvogue.com/style/trend/trendspotting/2011/12/celebrity-fashion-trend-black-lace#intro
- McClear, Sheila. "10 style resolutions for 2012." New York Post. Dec. 29, 2011. (Jan. 2, 2012). http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/style_resolutions_for_z6uPP7GKVvw8vSxtWS509K
- Michalak, Jodie. "Teenage Fashion Wear." Lovetoknow Teens. (Jan. 3, 2012). http://teens.lovetoknow.com/Teenage_Fashion_Wear
- Millionlooks. "Fall/Winter 2011/2012 Fashion Trends." (Jan. 3, 2012). http://www.millionlooks.com/trends/outfits-trends/fall-winter-2011-2012-fashion-trends/
- Millionlooks. "Shoe Trends Spring/Summer 2012." (Jan. 17, 2012). http://www.millionlooks.com/trends/footwear-trends/shoe-trends-spring-summer-2012/
- Molvar, Kari. "Spring 2012 Makeup Trends." Harpers Bazaar. (Jan. 12, 2012). http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/makeup-articles/spring-2012-makeup-trends#slide-24
- Seventeen.com. "Back-to-School Trends! Jan. 3, 2012. http://www.seventeen.com/fashion/tips/back-to-school-fashion#/category1
- Warren, Ellen. "2011's biggest fashion flops." Chicago-Tribune. Dec. 9, 2011. (Jan. 2, 2012). http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/tribu/sc-cons-1208-warren-shopping-fashion-flops-20111209,0,794249.column
- Walano, Rose and Lewis, Casey. "Personal-style blogger trend: Chunky Scarves." Teen Vogue.com. Jan. 2012. (Jan. 7, 2012).
Finding cool clothes for middle schoolers is all about thinking outside the box. Get five back-to-school fashion tips for middle schoolers at HowStuffWorks.