In the world of fine cheeses, if it stinks, it's really good. Thus, we suppose, Eau de Stilton.
Introduced by the Stilton Cheese Makers Association in 2006, the fragrance mimics the pungent bleu cheese produced in England. While it was never mass-produced, samples of the perfume were sold via the SCMA Web site.
More surprising, though, than Eau de Stilton is that Eau de Stilton isn't the only cheese fragrance on the books. Cheez-It crackers, too, has its own scent (though not one produced by the cracker's manufacturer), and you'll find at least one variety of ham-and-cheese perfume, which also comes as a body oil.
Perhaps, in the end, there's something logical at work here. Cheese, on its own, is an odd way to go; however, viewed as a whole, what you've got is cheese, beer, burgers, apple pie and a smoke ... sounds like a meal that might kill you, but not before it deeply, naughtily satisfies. Maybe this "alternative perfume" thing is not that mind-boggling after all.
More Great Links
- "Bacon Cologne By Fargginay: 'Scent By The Gods.'" The Huffington Post. April 6, 2011. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/bacon-cologne-perfume-by-fargginay_n_845515.html?ir=Food
- "Bakery Body Lotion." Paradise Cosmetics. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://paradisecosmetics.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=Bakery_BLotion
- "Bath & Body Solutions." Demeter Fragrance Library. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.demeterfragrance.com/59818/Bath--Body-Solutions.html
- "Bath and Body." Hip Hop Candy. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.hh-candy.com/index.php
- "Beer Bath Bars." Homebrew Soaps. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.homebrewsoaps.com/beer-bath-bars.html
- "Body Wash." The Bath Factory. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.bathfactory.net/body-wash--bubble-bath.html
- "BRÖÖ Your BOD." MicroBRÖÖ. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.broo.com/bodycare.php
- "Burger King release meat-scented cologne." Dec. 2008. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3797892/Burger-King-releases-meat-scented-cologne.html
- CB I Hate Perfume. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.cbihateperfume.com/home.html
- "Ham & Cheese Fragrance." Save On Scents. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/cPath/291_366/products_id/4824
- Irvine, Chris. "Men smell of cheese, women smell of onions." TelegraphUK. Jan. 29, 2009. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4378948/Men-smell-of-cheese-women-smell-of-onion.html
- "Mmm, Is That Roast Beef You Smell? No, It's Perfume." NPR. Nov. 13, 2011. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.npr.org/2011/11/13/142255030/mmm-is-that-roast-beef-you-smell-no-its-perfume
- Nolasco, Stephanie. "When Drinks Make Scents: The Top Liquor-Scented Fragrances." Beauty News NYC. March 2010. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/fragrance/when-drinks-make-scents-the-top-liquor-scented-fragrances/
- "Novelty Scents." Save On Scents. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/cPath/291_366/
- "Que." Pork Barrel Barbecue. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.porkbarrelbbq.com/que/
- Spitznagel, Eric. "Ambergris, Treasure of the Deep." Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Jan. 12, 2012. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/ambergris-treasure-of-the-deep-01122012.html
- "Stilton scent please cheese fans." BBC. May 12, 2006. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/4761989.stm
Are you wondering what's the difference between old and vintage? Find out what's the difference between old and vintage in this article.